DRONTAL

KRYSTLE M

In the Brooder
Apr 13, 2021
Hello!
I have a hen that is on Drontal for tapeworm. She only ate 1/2 her dose and the other pill got stolen by another hen. (Yes I tried to pill her normally but couldn't) how often can you give drontal without risking overdose? She had what l I thought was a case of vent gleet, but vet said tapeworm after fecal sample. We are leaving on vacation in 2 weeks and I want her well, tapeworm and "vent gleet free."

I have also done all the other vent gleet treatments prior to the sample.

Thanks in advance!!

Praziquantel dosage is 10 mg per kilogram (each 2.2 pounds.) Dosage of Equimax for a 1 pound chicken normally is 0.03 ml or 0.16 for a 5 pound chicken. That is the full dosage, so divide that by half to get the other half. Of course, it would be good to know first what dosage your vet ordered.

If she only ate 1/2 the dose, she stills needs the other half. What strength are the tablets that you are using, and you are fiving 2 of them, right? Praziquantel is the active ingredient in Drontal. You could either get more tablets from the vet, or possibly buy some Equimax horse worming paste at a feed store which contains praziquantel and ivermectin. Zimectrin Gold is also okay, but the dosage is different and it costs more. Then you can give the other part of the dose. I will try to see if you answer to help you, and @casportpony may also help if I am not online.

If she only ate 1/2 the dose, she stills needs the other half. What strength are the tablets that you are using, and you are fiving 2 of them, right? Praziquantel is the active ingredient in Drontal. You could either get more tablets from the vet, or possibly buy some Equimax horse worming paste at a feed store which contains praziquantel and ivermectin. Zimectrin Gold is also okay, but the dosage is different and it costs more. Then you can give the other part of the dose. I will try to see if you answer to help you, and @casportpony may also help if I am not online.
Thank you! She ate 1/2 the dose yesterday evening. I split one tab into half bc they are so large. The bottle only says Feline on it. No dosage indicated :( here in MI you can buy drontal at the local feed store luckily. I don't want to try and re treat too soon if it's too strong.

Thank you! She ate 1/2 the dose yesterday evening. I split one tab into half bc they are so large. The bottle only says Feline on it. No dosage indicated :( here in MI you can buy drontal at the local feed store luckily. I don't want to try and re treat too soon if it's too strong.
How many mg are the pill and how much does your hen weigh?

Back
Top Bottom