drooping wing (not angel wing)

Tampicoguy

Hatching
Oct 28, 2017
My 4 yr old goose has recently developed a drooping wing drooping at her shoulder. She is perfectly healthy as is our gander. Both are dewlapped Toulouse.

I suspect her wing may be too heavy. I bought some Poly-Vi-Sol ...... just in case she may have a niacin deficiency issue. I will bind up her wing if the vitamin supplement fails to cure her. My gander is close to 5 lbs heavier .... now and then he'll develop a limp. I suspect both are related issues.

:welcome Is she molting, and is the wing filled with 'blood' flight feathers ? Never had this happen with geese, but it was fairly common with Muscovy drakes.

molt finished a couple months ago. She sat on her nest for 45 days ..... no hatched goslings this yr due to inadequate pond size - depth.

I've had it happen twice with my dewlaps. Last year, I had a 4 year old buff gander develop droopy wings during molt and never fully recovered. He slowly and steadily became more lethargic, although appetite and personality good, and then just dropped dead one day last May.

This year during molt, I have an unrelated 4 year old grey gander that has developed same thing, but not quite as bad. He has almost completely recovered but the wings do not sit tucked up like they should. Fortunately, he has not lost any energy so I hope he will not suffer the same fate as my poor buff boy.

Darn dewlaps. They simply are not built to last as long as other breeds, and their lifespan is sadly only 5-8yo. I've yet to have one make it past 7yo.

Back
Top Bottom