Drooping wings

masanders

In the Brooder
Jun 20, 2016
My chickens droop their wings occasionally as shown in the pic. Is it because it's hot here?

donrae

Hopelessly Addicted
Premium Feather Member
9 Years
Jun 18, 2010
Southern Oregon
She's doing it. It's like panting for a dog, she's cooling herself off.

Shade, fresh water.

some folks feed extra fruit/veggies that have a high water content. Some folks freeze said fruits and veggies and feed them as a frozen treat. Some folks set up fans or misters.

I just do shade and water. I don't have AC in my house, so we all suffer together
tongue.png

Spartan22

Crowing
Sep 2, 2014
NE Ohio
2x - it's been hot here in Ohio and all my chickens had their wings like that often. I give them frozen fruits and giant ice cubes in their water to cool off.
1f625.png

MontanaChickDoc

Songster
Jul 2, 2016
central Virginia
Chickens can get heat exhaustion, particularly cochins and other heavy breeds. I had one go flat out but she responded well to a cool water hosing making sure to get the water down to the skin and under the wings. Luckily I watched the online portion of my husband's CPR course! What works for people works for chickens
1f627.png
Now I make sure to put icecubes in the water on really hot days ( which we're having a lot of this summer)

Last edited:

masanders

In the Brooder
Jun 20, 2016
Chickens can get heat exhaustion, particularly cochins and other heavy breeds. I had one go flat out but she responded well to a cool water hosing making sure to get the water down to the skin and under the wings. Luckily I watched the online portion of my husband's CPR course! What works for people works for chickens
1f627.png
Now I make sure to put icecubes in the water on really hot days ( which we're having a lot of this summer)

You'll hopefully get a chuckle out of this. It's almost midnight when I'm reading this and I'm tired and not processing things quickly. I thought you meant that your husband taught a chicken cpr course.

1f602.png

Top Bottom