Droopy wings

BYC is the best, did a search on Calcium Gluconate, popped up an old thread from May 2015 started by Dylansmom.
A lot of information in this thread.
I should give 2 ml calcium gluconate under the skin? How often should I repeat? She does not seem dehydrated and is drinking.
She finally laid an egg but she definitely needs Calcium. Ordered from TSC will pick up when I go to work and give it to her tomorrow night.
Have to take my lab to the vet tomorrow, hoping the vet with avian experience is working.

BYC is the best, did a search on Calcium Gluconate, popped up an old thread from May 2015 started by Dylansmom.
I remember that thread! Three of us had egg bound hens at the same time. Sadly, one of them didn't survive. :hit
I should give 2 ml calcium gluconate under the skin? How often should I repeat? She does not seem dehydrated and is drinking.
Under the skin or orally.
She does not seem dehydrated and is drinking.
That's good, that means you probably don't need to tube fluids.
She finally laid an egg but she definitely needs Calcium.
Was the shell normal?
I go to work and give it to her tomorrow night.
:thumbsup
Have to take my lab to the vet tomorrow, hoping the vet with avian experience is working.
:fl

The shell was thin.
Another hen had a normal egg earlier in the day.

Now trying to determine what I need to upgrade in the food department. I currently have them on a Flock Balancer as this provided 20% protein but Calcium is 1.45 max, the layer I feed is 16% protein and 4.8 Calcium max. So I am feeding 18% protein and 3.125 Calcium.

Is there a way to bookmark a thread to go back to read again. The watched threads fall off after a time.

I have been going through the threads again. Found another great thread about eggs from 2015. So one of my hens has been holding onto an egg for about a week. I have done a couple vent checks, it is about 1" in, I have lubed the vent but she is still not passing it. She does not appear to be in any discomfort. Her wings are a little droopy but she is walking around easily. Should I be concerned, I will grab the chip from the game camera to make sure she is drinking. I have both plain water and with electrolytes in the pens since the weather does not know if it wants to be spring or winter here.

How much calcium can you give? I don't want to overdose her. She received 2ml SQ on 12/31. I gave her 5 ml orally today with her 60 cc water and bath, will repeat water in about an hour.

After 2 days of calcium 5 ml Sunday orally and 2ml Monday SQ, she released the egg.
She was put on Purina Layena for egg layers 2 weeks ago, there is free choice calcium, anything else I can do proactively to help prevent this with the next egg?

Back
Top Bottom