Drop in egg production. Double yolks

Chic Rustler

Songster
5 Years
Feb 11, 2017
Texas
My 9 hens' production has dropped from 7-8 a day to 4-5. In the past two weeks i have gotten 5 double yolks. Im starting to wonder if its caused by diet.
The diet consists of 22% start grow lay (mixed flock) , mixed grain with roasted soy beans, table scraps and they always have oyster shell and grit available. Could it be too much protein in the diet? I have 20 growing chicks so i try to keep proteins high

Has the weather been cold where you live? I've heard that cold can cause egg production to drop dramatically, but there are other reasons too.

How old are the chicks? Maybe you could switch to regular layer feed, but isolate the chicks for special treat time with treats that have a little more protein?

Weather is just heating up in Texas. We are hitting the 90s. Chicks are 8-13 weeks of age. We have 9 pullets that are 16 weeks. Isolating them is not possible

No reason to isolate full time, just wondering if they can be separated out for a few minutes for special treats, but I know that may not be possible.

Egg production can Also drop from heat stress, but if you're just reaching the 90's they may not be stressed from that.

Political issues can cause stress too ... they could just be working out the politics with all of the new additions too.

Anyone molting?

Well that will be hard at the moment. I have 150 lbs of it to use first. They have been on the feed for a couple months. The chicks are new to the coop (couple weeks) before that theu were in a separate pen.

Thos new layout sux on mobile!!

Well that will be hard at the moment. I have 150 lbs of it to use first. They have been on the feed for a couple months. The chicks are new to the coop (couple weeks) before that theu were in a separate pen.

Thos new layout sux on mobile!!
Oh I hear that! HATE to waste feed! Maybe you could pick up one 50lb bag of regular layer feed and mix to balance out the protein levels a little.

Back
Top Bottom