DROPPED DEAD!!!!!! (diagnosis?)

Dec 1, 2020
Western Washington
Hello again! I have had a flock of 10 hens and one rooster for awhile now. They have been healthy and strong. However about an hour ago, I went out to give my ducklings some treats and I found my blue-red laced wyandotte lying dead outside the coop:(. She was alive and well less than 2 hours ago. She has been acting slightly "different" now that I think about it, but nothing to unusual or worrying. She has been eating and drinking, just not being as active. Ive found her sitting with her tail drooping like a dog with her tail between her legs (in chicken form) but didn't think much of it. She is nearing the age to start laying (around 20 weeks) but I know it always varies. Ive had chickens that didn't start laying until 37 weeks. When I first saw her I thought maybe a hawk had struck and killed her but then realized it couldn't sit around and eat it with a rooster nearby and left. However there are ZERO injuries on her. Not a scratch. Then, I thought maybe she was egg bound (I wanted to confirm because I would be able to put her to good use if it wasn't disease). But I did an examination and there is no egg stuck in her. And there was a strange-ish poop near her vent where she died so there wasn't anything blocking. I would really appreciate any ideas you may have. More importantly if I should be concerned for the rest of my flock. Thank you!

Open her abdominal cavity and take a look. My guess is she was laying internally. This can happen to any hen, even a pullet just getting ready to lay. I had this happen to a new layer last summer. She was barely a year, had been laying for a few weeks, then no eggs for a few days, and then one day she came into the run after free ranging all morning and dropped dead. I opened her up and found several eggs of different sizes in her abdominal cavity.

Open her abdominal cavity and take a look. My guess is she was laying internally. This can happen to any hen, even a pullet just getting ready to lay. I had this happen to a new layer last summer. She was barely a year, had been laying for a few weeks, then no eggs for a few days, and then one day she came into the run after free ranging all morning and dropped dead. I opened her up and found several eggs of different sizes in her abdominal cavity.
Oh wow. I didn’t know this was even possible. I will definitely check in the morning. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom