Drowned Rooster

Oldegarlicshnapp

Songster
May 11, 2020
I’m hoping someone can help me out?

There was a bad storm last night that took my rooster into the pool. My mom found him early morning and thought to fish out his body. Once she realized he was still alive, she blowed him dry while shaking him to breathe.
EF28C491-4588-4EE5-BA8B-866BC1B3982B.jpeg

His beak was more white than this ^ so I’ve given him honey to raise him blood sugar. Though I’m not sure how often I should keep that up. If someone can let me know that’d be great.
561973BE-ED8B-40DD-A1B7-C26113E4F432.jpeg

He’s awake now but he’s got water in his lungs. I’m figuring he’ll expel it through feces, but I don’t actually know.

Does anyone have ideas on what I can do?

Ive never had a chicken survive drowning, although I’ve only found them dead...ironically they were all roosters. I have had a chicken almost drown, I tilted in sideways to where it’s face was parallel to the ground. It won’t pass through feces because it’s in the lungs. The best bet would be probably trying to tilt him a little and try to get him to “cough” it up

How is your boy today? I told my mom your story and she thought it was crazy! Lol

Seriously though, if he lives the body will gradually remove the liquid from his lungs/air sacs. I’d just let him rest indoors and give him access to food and water.

How is your boy today? I told my mom your story and she thought it was crazy! Lol

Seriously though, if he lives the body will gradually remove the liquid from his lungs/air sacs. I’d just let him rest indoors and give him access to food and water.
Sorry to say he passed away the day I posted this. I had sat with him all day, but then when I got up to do something he walked off and choked on the liquid inside :(

Back
Top Bottom