Drowning ~ 6 wk. old Bantie Roo

CK Chickadilly

Songster
11 Years
Sep 11, 2008
West Michigan
I hope I am posting this in the right area....it is a mama Bantie behavior....

My cutest little baby bantie roo was found dead floating in the horses water tank this evening. They are 6 wks. old & the mama Bantie had taught them how to drink out of the big tanks, even though I have a lot of little chickie waterers all about. I have lost 2 others a couple of weeks ago this same way!
sad.png

My Silkie/Cochin crosses, I raised myself & I have never seen them up on any of the water tanks. I haven't lost any of them. They drink out of puddles or the chick watering things.

I am so bummed!
idunno.gif
Can't take away the horse & goat water!

That is a great idea, however, the horses & goats are very curious about everything & if I did put something around the edge, they would just rip it off....UGH! Naughty horses & goats! :mad:

I put a cement cinderblock in the sheep's water so if the chicks fell in they had something to climb onto to help them get out. I tried to keep the water level so that just the top of the block stayed dry. One evening, one of the chicks was soaking wet, so it must have worked.
smile.png

awwww, poor baby !!!! Sorry !!!! My dog killed a few of mine last week, I understand how you feel!!!!!!
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif

I'm so sorry for the loss of your little roo. We lost a chick to drowning as well this year, it's really tough. You could try putting a sheet of wire, like hardware cloth down in the water. The horses could push it down to drink, and the chickens could get purchase if they fall in. Just a thought.
hugs.gif

A friend stopped by today & she suggested putting a large piece of wood in the tanks so if a chickie falls in the wood floats & they hop on the wood & can get out. That is what they used to do & she said it worked. So I am trying that plus having the tanks filled to the top.

Cinder blocks sound like a great idea too.

I have lost 3 from the same batch now to drownings. Makes ya feel so bad!
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom