Drunk duckling?

Twoandhelp

Chirping
Apr 7, 2015
Have 3 one-month old ducks. They all seem to have a bit of trouble keeping their balance at times but one in particular falls over as if drunk. She lands on her back can't get up. Last night she got chilled from falling over and being wet and trampled so we blow dried her and stuck her in an incubator for a while and was much better so we put her back in brooder. Woke up to her stuck on back again. Helped her to stand but she's so wobbly when she walks. She's been getting brewers yeast and I just put them back on vitamins and electrolytes. Anything I'm missing?

Last edited:
Thank you for the help.....I had my husband stop at tractor supply unfortunately they closed at 6 so I hope she makes it through the night.....one guy said I should try giving her Gatorade do you think that is okay?

Yes, I believe quite a few people on here give their babies Gatorade as a electrolyte, just be careful not to aspirate her, you can dip her bill in a little bit of Gatorade or put a few drops on the side of her bill, the sensation water will usually make them drink it down.

They're eating chick starter (non medicated of course) and I give the chick grit since they've been outside a bit. There's Brewers yeast mixed in. I haven't noticed any bullying. She isn't crested. It's like her legs don't work- she can stand, but she almost stands like a runner duck would. Very tall. But once she takes a step she start flopping about. Every time I put her back out with others she winds up on her back. In the incubator where she is now she can stand up so its making her be still and sit properly. In a bit ill have room to transfer her to her own little Rubbermaid and I'll see if that helps. The other two have a little balance issue too but not to her degree.
How much brewers yeast are they getting? maybe you need to try some plain niacin just to see if that will help. they should get 125mgs to 1 gal of water per day for 10 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom