Drunk duckling?

Twoandhelp

Chirping
Apr 7, 2015
Have 3 one-month old ducks. They all seem to have a bit of trouble keeping their balance at times but one in particular falls over as if drunk. She lands on her back can't get up. Last night she got chilled from falling over and being wet and trampled so we blow dried her and stuck her in an incubator for a while and was much better so we put her back in brooder. Woke up to her stuck on back again. Helped her to stand but she's so wobbly when she walks. She's been getting brewers yeast and I just put them back on vitamins and electrolytes. Anything I'm missing?

Last edited:
Sounds like she is possibly weak from either not getting enough food, lacking something nutritionally, or may have a neurological problem. What kind of food are they getting? Are you positive this one is getting enough to eat (not being bullied by the others)? Is she crested?

They're eating chick starter (non medicated of course) and I give the chick grit since they've been outside a bit. There's Brewers yeast mixed in. I haven't noticed any bullying. She isn't crested. It's like her legs don't work- she can stand, but she almost stands like a runner duck would. Very tall. But once she takes a step she start flopping about. Every time I put her back out with others she winds up on her back. In the incubator where she is now she can stand up so its making her be still and sit properly. In a bit ill have room to transfer her to her own little Rubbermaid and I'll see if that helps. The other two have a little balance issue too but not to her degree.

They're eating chick starter (non medicated of course) and I give the chick grit since they've been outside a bit. There's Brewers yeast mixed in. I haven't noticed any bullying. She isn't crested. It's like her legs don't work- she can stand, but she almost stands like a runner duck would. Very tall. But once she takes a step she start flopping about. Every time I put her back out with others she winds up on her back. In the incubator where she is now she can stand up so its making her be still and sit properly. In a bit ill have room to transfer her to her own little Rubbermaid and I'll see if that helps. The other two have a little balance issue too but not to her degree.
How much brewers yeast are they getting? maybe you need to try some plain niacin just to see if that will help. they should get 125mgs to 1 gal of water per day for 10 weeks.

I usually dump 1/2 a cup or so into 5lbs of food. I found a few recommendations but that was kind of middle of the road. I don't remember where I read it- I'll gladly adjust if yall think it's too much/not enough!

I usually dump 1/2 a cup or so into 5lbs of food. I found a few recommendations but that was kind of middle of the road. I don't remember where I read it- I'll gladly adjust if yall think it's too much/not enough!
It should be 1 Tablespoon to 1 cup of feed. I have no idea how many Tab to 5 lbs of food is but maybe if you do it by 1 tab to 1 cup of feed they will get the right amount be sure to mix the BY into the feed real well and you may have to stir often during the day so the BY doesn't end up at the bottom of them bowl. I think this is the problem not enough niacin for your lil ones. Usually once they begin to get adequate amounts you see improvement pretty quick.

Hopefully this is the problem because it can be fixed pretty easy, also you can add some poultry vitamins into their drinking water to help with other nutrients some ducklings just need more than others. Poultry Nutri drench is a very good one.

Last edited:
Have 3 one-month old ducks. They all seem to have a bit of trouble keeping their balance at times but one in particular falls over as if drunk. She lands on her back can't get up. Last night she got chilled from falling over and being wet and trampled so we blow dried her and stuck her in an incubator for a while and was much better so we put her back in brooder. Woke up to her stuck on back again. Helped her to stand but she's so wobbly when she walks. She's been getting brewers yeast and I just put them back on vitamins and electrolytes. Anything I'm missing?
I’m having the same exact issue with one of my ducklings....any update or resolution you found?

Back
Top Bottom