"drunk" hen

furbabymum

Songster
7 Years
May 6, 2012
Burns, Wyoming
I've a red sex link laying age hen. We had a predator attack and we aren't sure if she flew into a wall and injured herself or what. She had some blood from her nose and was unable to stand. We kept her safe and warm for the night and the next morning she was walking so we put her back with the flock. She now walks like a drunk and keeps her head tucked into her body. She sometimes has to use her wings to balance her. Will this go away or is this permanent? Is she hurting do you think? I'm wondering if we are going to have to cull her or if she'll be fine like this.
Thanks.

Sounds like she has wry neck now as a result of her injury. Treat her with 400IU of vitamin E and selenium (which helps her absorb the vitamin E).

I too have a pullet that got wry neck from an injury, with the same symptoms of head tucked in and wobbly walking, but I didn't catch it early enough - so there's not anything I can do for my pullet.

Good luck with your hen.

Sounds like she has wry neck now as a result of her injury. Treat her with 400IU of vitamin E and selenium (which helps her absorb the vitamin E).

I too have a pullet that got wry neck from an injury, with the same symptoms of head tucked in and wobbly walking, but I didn't catch it early enough - so there's not anything I can do for my pullet.

Good luck with your hen.

Thank you so much!! It's been 2 days now. I hope I'm not too late. I'll treat her ASAP tomorrow!

This is brain injury due to trauma, not a vitamin deficiency. Vitamins won't hurt her, but will not help, either. She may recover, possibly even completely. Just be sure she stays well fed and hydrated, and separate from flock if others bully her.

Back
Top Bottom