Drunk Silkie

southernpriss

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 6, 2011
hello everyone
I am starting a new thread because someone suggested my Silkie may have an ear infection or inner ear problem or a brain injury....

She is a 1.5 year old Buff Silkie I noticed two weeks ago she was losing her balance and her vent was dirty so to fast forward two weeks she has been treated for everything anyone could think of and she has been inside in a safe spot on antibotics, I have been putting electrolites in her water giving her meal worms for protein putting drops of poly vi on her beak (she has been dewormed) she is much stronger and the vent is clean but her falling down is worse (when I take her out to stretch her legs) she topples over when a light breeze come through or after she takes a few steps and she often shakes her head back and forth...
I REALLY need help this is my first experience with a sick chicken and I don't know what to do... there is no way she could return even outside even to a coop all by herself bc she falls over and can get up but other than the falling she is back to her old self happy and talking... does this sounds like an ear problem or brain injury?? if so what do I do??

Thanks

If mites have gotten into her inner ear, they can cause vertigo, if this is what it is. You can use an eyedropper with vegetable oil in it and put a drop or two in each ear and suffocate them. A vitamin/mineral deficiency could be a problem...scrambled egg mixed with poultry nutri drench would help, a couple of vitamin B tablets crushed in the mixture wouldnt hurt neither. One other thing to look for and I might be way off here...check for bumblefoot and/or swelling on her footpads and feet. Good luck.

Thank you so much for your reply dawg53! (I am also in SE GA) I put the veg oil in her ears and have the eggs mixed with B vitamins I will let you know how it goes... and her feet look normal.
Thanks again

I just took her out again to stretch her legs and she is now falling face first and ending up on her back... I have no idea what else to do? has anyone had this happen and the chicken got better?

The falling forward onto face and ending up specifically on back (if that's what's always happening now) sounds like a vitamin deficiency by itself, but the rest (shaking of the head) does not. When you put the oil into her ears, did you see any sort of residue in them? I really wish I could be of more help. I will look for possible solutions from like-stories.

Slike.. I did not see any residue... I have been giving her vitamin B in her water and putting some pedilite in there as well as the polyvisol on her beak is there anything else I should do...
and Stoopid there is one rooster that fancies her a little too much and was really ruff with her but once I saw this I separated them what can I do for her if its a brain injury..
thank yall so much for your help and advice it means so much I have been so upset through this whole thing feeling helpless

Silkies with big crests(vaulted skulls) usually have a place where the skull didn't harden over. A pecking, or injury can cause the symptoms you are seeing. My friend has a silkie roo that would also walk backwards or somersault (not intentionally) and just about breakdance. Following advice on byc forums she started using polyvisol infant vitamins(NO IRON) and also a few drops of vit.e (pierce a capsule and squeeze some out). He had other complications tho, he would get extremely hot(to the touch) and has a seizures. She thought he would die at any time but, he is now a mature rooster and except that he can't fly or jump, he seems very much normal, and chases her hens around.

I have read about vets giving them predniszone( spelling??) in some cases to reduce swelling of the brain and that has seemed to work for some people.My friend wasn't able to take him to a vet.

Back
Top Bottom