Help!

Colocluck

Hatching
Apr 9, 2024
IMG_3802.jpeg
We got a sick/hurt chicken. She is 3 years old. She started to fall on her side and then would just there. She is alert and eating and drinking well. Since we discovered the injury, we have moved her into the bathroom, where she now resides in the bathtub away from the other chickens we have been giving her 911 and mixing oregano, cinnamon, garlic, and ACV. It has been two weeks now and she just sits there if anybody could please help please let me know thank you I have enclosed a picture of her poop.

The herbs and spices won't do anything to help, and garlic can be toxic, so I'd stop that immediately. and the acv.
What's her diet? Have she ever been wormed?

Hi, she is on 18% protein pellets. The occasional scoop of crickets/ meal worms and scratch. To be honest I am not sure if she came vaccinated or not. I will stop all of added spices tonight.

Crop feels good, no sour smell. I think the next line of treatment will be deworming. Valbazen I have read is good? What are your thoughts?

If this were my chicken, I would: 1. stop the herbs/ACV immediately; 2. call local farm stores to see if anyone has Tylan in stock; 3. If you can find Tylan, buy a clean syringe with a fine gauge needle and give an injection. It's a broad spectrum antibiotic. There are videos on YouTube on how to administer an injection to a hen in the breast; 4. offer her cooked egg twice a week for an extra protein boost (i.e. 1/2 egg is sufficient); 5. For deworming, mix some food-grade DE with the cooked egg for 2 days straight. Wait a week, then do it again. We did this with our flock after reading how to reduce poop on eggs on a blog post, and it worked. Literally, the next day, the eggs were clean. DE is like asbestos to the lungs if inhaled, so don't let it get airborne and only mix with a moist food; 6. Offer some grit in case she needs that for digestion; 7. Make sure her feathers aren't covered with poop. If so, bathe her with warm water and dry her off.

I will call around to see if I can get that. Herbs were stopped last night thank you so much for the advice. I will keep you posted

Back
Top Bottom