Drunk walking Roos

PaigeDL

Chirping
Jun 17, 2019
Springville, AL
I have a purple and lavender Orpington. They are in pens next to each other. They both started walking like they were drunk and couldn’t stand. That was abt three months ago. I posted then but nobody knew what was wrong. They are standing now and walking although still a little unstable. They both are not acting right. Does this sound familiar to anybody?

There could be several things going on that could cause that.
first thing to check for is external parasites, injury. call and ask a vet if he will do a fecal float test most will this will tell you if they have internal parasites.

What does their poo look like, if it has a pink or red tinge they could have gotten coccidosis, that you would treat with corid.

If fecal comes back with worms then you treat that with a couple different ones depending on the type of worm, worms can cause a lot of different symptoms if they have a worm over load and your flock hasn't been de wormed lately.

They could have gotten something in their ear or an ear infection thats causing Vertigo.

And lastly what are they being fed, they should be on either chick starter or all flock as roosters don't need the calcium a layer does and it can cause liver problems. Treats should not be more than 10% of their feed.

They’d haven’t be end well wormed in awhile. I was feeding them scratch and laying pellet feed. I have switched to just laying pellets because they weren’t eating the corn. Now they aren’t eating the pellets. I have abt 18 hens and three roosters.

I tried some oats and they didn’t like that. They get some treats but not a lot. Maybe less than 10%. Their poop was looking fine until I saw this in one of the pens yesterday. I will post a picture of one of them walking.

Attachments

• C5CAD7DF-C476-41C7-AF46-1E8472B01798.jpeg
    C5CAD7DF-C476-41C7-AF46-1E8472B01798.jpeg
    546.1 KB · Views: 5
They’d haven’t be end well wormed in awhile. I was feeding them scratch and laying pellet feed. I have switched to just laying pellets because they weren’t eating the corn. Now they aren’t eating the pellets. I have abt 18 hens and three roosters.
Roosters DO NOT need laying Pellets it will end up killing their liver, change em to all flock or flock raiser depending on the brand and put out OS or crushed egg shell on the side for the hens, your whole flock will be happier and do better

Back
Top Bottom