Dry chicken combs?

Weeg

Enabler
Jul 1, 2020
Small town in Western Washington
My Coop
My Coop
I have noticed my chickens combs seemed cracked and frail looking lately. It has been really dry here, going from Fall into winter, and for a bit, I thought they might have fowl pox. I was little scabby things on there combs but they dispersed and I believe they were just pecking wounds. I can get pictures tomorrow, but I am wondering if there is a lotion or something I should put on the combs? Lol! That is halariosue to think about, "this lotion is of amy chickens combs!" Anyway, any advise appreciated! Thanks!

Some of my birds also get "dry" combs around wintertime. They seem to be perfectly fine -- the tips might get frostbitten and fall off, but this does no harm to the bird. However, if you're showing your birds and want their combs intact, I've read that smearing Vaseline on their combs will help keep them from getting frostbitten.

Do post pictures, though, in case it's fowl pox.

I've heard similar about Vaseline but then I also heard that it can increase the risks of frostbite. I certainly don't know so don't take my word on it. I just leave them alone unless there is an issue, but I don't show my birds.
Have you looked up favus?

Some of my birds also get "dry" combs around wintertime. They seem to be perfectly fine -- the tips might get frostbitten and fall off, but this does no harm to the bird. However, if you're showing your birds and want their combs intact, I've read that smearing Vaseline on their combs will help keep them from getting frostbitten.

Do post pictures, though, in case it's fowl pox.
I can get pics in the morning. Thanks! I am not worried about showing the birds, as long as they are comfortable and all good! Thanks!

I've heard similar about Vaseline but then I also heard that it can increase the risks of frostbite. I certainly don't know so don't take my word on it. I just leave them alone unless there is an issue, but I don't show my birds.
Have you looked up favus?
I have heard bad things about Vaseline too, so I don't think I will use it, but if they start getting frost bite I might give it a try.

How old are you birds, in months?
Are they laying....molting?
Pale dryish combs is pretty normal for a non laying bird.

No, don't! Hands off before and especially after FB.
Well, they are a very mixed age flock, i have a few that are close to 5-7 and a few that are close to 2-3, that isn't in m months but the birds are fairly old. I won't do Vaseline thanks for the advice on that!

Back
Top Bottom