1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

dry combs & waddles

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by numamahen, Nov 29, 2009.

1. numamahen

numamahen Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2009
    We have 14 golden laced wyandottes hatched last Feb. They have been fabulously health (one bout with cocci but we got through it, with only one loss). We get about 6-9 eggs a day. We haven't had a molt ( I am keeping a light on them) My questions is, we noticed yesterday their rose combs are getting dry. My daughter showed them for the fair & used vaseline, I also know that vaseline can be used to prevent frostbite. I don't think vaseline has very good moisterizing properties to it though. Any thoughts.....

2. DawnSuiter

DawnSuiter Chillin' With My Peeps

Just like in people, healthy skin comes from healthy oils and plenty of water.
    If the water is too cold, they will not drink enough of it.
    Try warmer water... and add some (small amount) sunflower seeds or flax to their diet for a couple weeks and see if it makes an improvement.
    Another option is to drizzle a LITTLE canola oil on some of their feed occassionally.

Petroleum jelly will provide a moisture barrier, but will not hold in moisture that is not there.

3. numamahen

numamahen Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2009
    thanks dawn - your response makes perfect sense! We haven't yet switch to the heated water bowls, avoiding the extra electric cost as long as we can. We do start with warmer water in the morning when water gets filled but some nights we have done it in the evening & kept waterers in the garage, so by morning it has cooled down. Will work on those items - are the sunflower seeds hulled?

4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I don't really believe it's a big deal -- peoples' skin gets drier in winter (when the air is drier), so does chickens, Oh Well. Vaseline can make things less scaly-looking and possibly more comfortable.

Also remember that if they're laying less or not at all, the combs naturally shrink a bit and get paler and less vibrantly red, and this can *look* like dry skin but is totally normal and proper.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

5. DawnSuiter

DawnSuiter Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:You can serve them the seeds with the shells, they will figure it out and it provides a little fiber & some work for the gizzard.

Pat is right though, of course, you'll learn that you can always trust Pat's advice [​IMG] it's probably NOT a big deal and you may be seeing the results of a slow down in laying too. But I always make sure I take my Fish Oil in the winter months.. keeps my skin from getting too dry. Takes a few days to notice but it does work. Of course I don't eat sunflower seeds or canola.. and my personal flax is ground so that doesn't help.. so for me.. it's fish oil... for the chickens.. it's whole sunflower seeds, flax & fishmeal now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by