Dry fowl pox? Help!

It's getting more pronounced. I just saw it early and had a feeling that's what it was. The white spots are starting to get black scab looking things now, and more spots are coming in. Hoping it stays mild, but I spend a lot of time around my girls so I notice little changes.

If there was something I could do, I wanted to know early
If you would like, post some updated photos.

With Dry Fowl pox, it's best to leave the scabs alone.
If the scabs are close to the eyes, watch for signs of eye infection (watery or pus filled eyes).

If you would like, post some updated photos.

With Dry Fowl pox, it's best to leave the scabs alone.
If the scabs are close to the eyes, watch for signs of eye infection (watery or pus filled eyes). @casportpony
20181128_153035.jpg
20181128_153032.jpg

They're still eating and drinking fine, and out and about in the yard (despite the snow). Don't see any signs with eye or respitory issues

That's chicken #2 with it, Soup. The chicken I originally posted of is getting bigger bumps that are just starting to scab. Her name is Noodle.

I've circled and drawn arrows to what is concerning me.
20181128_184958.jpg
20181128_185048.jpg

The circled area in the first photo is raised and white. A lump. It's beginning to look crusty/flaky.

In the second photo, the arrow pointing to the comb is a slightly raised scab. The other arrow pointing to above the eye and running along the comb are also raised (more above the eye) and also starting to look crusty/flaky. It's only on my two blue Australorps. My two black Australorps and young EEs look completely normal. Those spots were not there roughly two weeks ago. I'll get pictures of the other girls tomorrow.

What else could be causing the changes if raised (almost lumpy) spots? They started just raised and normal red like the rest of the face, but now they're turning white and crusty/flaky.
@Wyorp Rock

It's hard to tell, could be just dry skin or the beginning of Favus.
Do you see new feathers coming in underneath that dry patch?

You can put a little anti-fungal cream on it if you'd like, it won't hurt her.

@Wyorp Rock wanted to give you an update (and for anyone else who is a first year chicken keeper who stumbled on this). Turns out you were right about new feathers. About a week after this post new feathers came up all over on the two blue Aussies faces. Then they lost almost all neck feathers and about half the tail. Now that all of these feathers are shiny and new, my black ones have begun a partial molt too. Same style as my blues. Dry looking patches on the face, pin feathers where neck ones have began falling out, and some loss of tail feathers. I wasn't aware there would be a partial molt at 8 or 9 months. I feel silly now being such a worried, but I've learned something new so that's what counts!

Chicken keeping is never dull, that's for sure.

@Wyorp Rock wanted to give you an update (and for anyone else who is a first year chicken keeper who stumbled on this). Turns out you were right about new feathers. About a week after this post new feathers came up all over on the two blue Aussies faces. Then they lost almost all neck feathers and about half the tail. Now that all of these feathers are shiny and new, my black ones have begun a partial molt too. Same style as my blues. Dry looking patches on the face, pin feathers where neck ones have began falling out, and some loss of tail feathers. I wasn't aware there would be a partial molt at 8 or 9 months. I feel silly now being such a worried, but I've learned something new so that's what counts!

Chicken keeping is never dull, that's for sure.
Thank you so much for the update! Glad to hear that all is well and they have shiny new feather too:)

Don't ever feel silly about being worried, asking questions or voicing your concerns!! There is always something new to learn, my goodness chickens will keep you guessing and learning for the rest of your life!:lol:

Back
Top Bottom