Dry Fowl Pox?

Cali Chickens

In the Brooder
Oct 21, 2020
So we are first-time chicken owners, and lately we have noticed our girls have what we think is dry fowl pox. They are all 7 - 8 months, and all of them are acting normal and looking good except for our Jubilee Orpington. She is staying in their coop later than the other girls, isn't eating as much, and stands by herself. We are currently mixing Durvet Vitamins and Electrolytes into their water. Do any of you have any suggestions on what to do?
IMG_1382.JPG

That is dirt, not Fowl pox.

Could you bring the hen inside and set her in a warm, towel-lined, area with feed and water provided. You can try offering her soupy feed, or try dripping a drop of a poultry vitamin or electrolyte along her beak often to keep her somewhat hydrated.

Lethargy does not tell us much about what's going on, could you answer a few additional questions?

Is the hen laying? Have you examined her body for anything abnormal, how does the inside of her mouth look, have you checked around her vent for any sign of ectoparasites/vent gleet, the rest of her body for injuries, etc? What are they being fed, any supplements? Do you have a few pictures of you're setup? How long has she been acting like this? Do you have any pictures of her poop?

It is not very clear in the photo, but she also has some white spots on her comb. All of our girls have started laying except for her, though she isn't dominant at all and has no sickle feathers. We have done our best to check for any abnormalities, though this is our first set of chickens, so we don't really know what to look for. The only supplements we give them are Durvet Vitamins and Electrolytes, which we mix into their water. She has always been a bit shy and disconnected from the rest of the flock, but it has been more pronounced these last few weeks. Here is a picture of their food and water:
IMG_1384.JPG

It is not very clear in the photo, but she also has some white spots on her comb. All of our girls have started laying except for her, though she isn't dominant at all and has no sickle feathers. We have done our best to check for any abnormalities, though this is our first set of chickens, so we don't really know what to look for. The only supplements we give them are Durvet Vitamins and Electrolytes, which we mix into their water. She has always been a bit shy and disconnected from the rest of the flock, but it has been more pronounced these last few weeks. Here is a picture of their food and water: View attachment 2382244

Do you have any pictures of the hen, or a video of her without you holding her?

The first picture is not the best photo, and it's hard to tell, but she looks fairly healthy to me. It would be helpful to see her in her normal stance. You say she is not laying, but the other hens are (?) sometimes when hens are close to laying, they can sometimes be disconnected from the flock, or act unusual.

When was the last time you saw her eat or drink? Have you noticed any other hens bullying her from the feeders? Do you have a picture of her poop?

Yes, all our other girls are laying. She normally eats after the others, and she does often get pecked at when she goes to eat with them. I don't have a picture of her poop right now, but I will try to get one. Her is her normal stance:
IMG_1385.JPG

Yes, all our other girls are laying. She normally eats after the others, and she does often get pecked at when she goes to eat with them. I don't have a picture of her poop right now, but I will try to get one. Her is her normal stance:
View attachment 2382292

She looks quite healthy to me.

How big is your run area? Since you've seen other birds peck her it's possible she's at the bottom of the pecking order, and is isolating away from the flock to avoid getting attacked. That also coincides with why she is eating after the other birds are done doing so. I would try adding more feeders and waterers to the run area, so the traffic to the feeders is not so concentrated. How big is their run?

I think it is around 15 by 15 ft for five chickens. And yes, I will try adding more feeders and waterers, so thank you for that idea!

Back
Top Bottom