Dry Hatching Cortunix Quails

So cute! I love quail babies :)

Just candled mine and they all look non-fertile!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope I just couldn't see anything yet but it's already day 6. I will check again in 2 days I guess. So dissapointing though :( It was a new source of eggs I won't be getting them from her again, if it ends up being true. Sigh.

I candled at Day 6 and was able to tell fertile from infertile, so if they're glowing you've likely got infertile eggs.

Ok regarding this process. It hasnt turned out good. I dont want to go into too much detail as i already posted all my notes on one of my blogs. Overall this and my hard drive dying on my desktop pc hasn't been a very good week.

Basically 6 of 21 hatched. Imagine i had 35 infertile eggs (24 before lock down, and 11 during egg autopsy).

The majority were fully developed chicks that just grew too big for the eggs I think cause i tried as someone i brought eggs from last time (not the current guy i got this batch from). suggested 38.1 degrees. Most of the deaths i predict came on Day 14 or 15.

http://enzopedia.blogspot.com/2018/06/birdtastic-30-hatching-quails-dry.html

Ok regarding this process. It hasnt turned out good. I dont want to go into too much detail as i already posted all my notes on one of my blogs. Overall this and my hard drive dying on my desktop pc hasn't been a very good week.

Basically 6 of 21 hatched. Imagine i had 35 infertile eggs (24 before lock down, and 11 during egg autopsy).

The majority were fully developed chicks that just grew too big for the eggs I think cause i tried as someone i brought eggs from last time (not the current guy i got this batch from). suggested 38.1 degrees. Most of the deaths i predict came on Day 14 or 15.

http://enzopedia.blogspot.com/2018/06/birdtastic-30-hatching-quails-dry.html
Sorry to hear that. Hope your survivors do good for you though! Keep us updated with pics :)
Mine are definitely infertile, though I haven't had time to look at every single one, I candled another random dozen today and all empty. ARGH! I got them from so far away, when I was on an out of town trip, I don't know how I would even get money back. Oh well. I will have to try to go back to where I got my first few eggs to get some more. I only have 2 young males and they want friends.

Sorry to hear that. Hope your survivors do good for you though! Keep us updated with pics :)
Mine are definitely infertile, though I haven't had time to look at every single one, I candled another random dozen today and all empty. ARGH! I got them from so far away, when I was on an out of town trip, I don't know how I would even get money back. Oh well. I will have to try to go back to where I got my first few eggs to get some more. I only have 2 young males and they want friends.

Yeah its a bit gut wrenching i really think having too many Infertile eggs in there sucking up moisture and maybe oxygen. Compromised the other 15 viable quail chics from hatching.

Imagine 56 eggs set and 35 of them were infertile. And then i only managed to remove 22 and still over looked 13. Quail eggs are hard to candle. I thought maybe there was 5 eggsthat were 50/50 infertile in their during lock down but 13 of the 34 were infertile. 6 hatched, 15 dead in shell mainly late stage (although 1 was barely breathing and died), and 13 infertile!

Most of the infertile were from the guy i brought the eggs from. Im quite 1 that hatched that died, and 1 that died at full development were there ony results i got buying those 24 eggs. Im know before lock down alteast 10 of his eggs were infertile, and of the 13 i bet most of those aswell. Possible he was selling old eggs?

Sorry to hear about your struggles.

Most likely his birds are past their reproductive prime. If they are more than a year old fertility drops off. Or his male doesn't know what he's doing; I have one like that.

Hey Erkenstein thanks. But the age of the birds wasnt really the factor. I think its more the 24 eggs i got int he mail around 18-20 of them were infertile. I think the guy just sent me old eggs. We have 2 males with 6 Hens, 5 were laying at the time, #6 just started laying. Im just concerned at the electricity costs of such a large 56 egg incubator, so im going to run some tests today to see its better to get a broody hen. As electricity costs in Australia have recently just gone through the roof. Unless you own your home which i dont and get Solar installed.

Is it possible having too many 13 of the 34 set where infertile. It could have compromised the oxygen and water needs of the 21 viable eggs? of which 15 did not hatch but fully developed.

Hey Erkenstein thanks. But the age of the birds wasnt really the factor. I think its more the 24 eggs i got int he mail around 18-20 of them were infertile. I think the guy just sent me old eggs. We have 2 males with 6 Hens, 5 were laying at the time, #6 just started laying. Im just concerned at the electricity costs of such a large 56 egg incubator, so im going to run some tests today to see its better to get a broody hen. As electricity costs in Australia have recently just gone through the roof. Unless you own your home which i dont and get Solar installed.

Is it possible having too many 13 of the 34 set where infertile. It could have compromised the oxygen and water needs of the 21 viable eggs? of which 15 did not hatch but fully developed.
I don’t think infertile eggs compromise the other eggs in terms of moisture and oxygen. They aren’t “breathing” after all. I’d be more concerned about bacteria growing and contaminating the good eggs.

I don’t think infertile eggs compromise the other eggs in terms of moisture and oxygen. They aren’t “breathing” after all. I’d be more concerned about bacteria growing and contaminating the good eggs.

3 Eggs had green gunk growing inside.

What should i use to thoroughly clean the incubator i used dish washing liquid to scrub off all the hard bits. Then i sprayed with bleach and then used a hose to get the water off.

Im going to test the incubator later to see how much electricity its consuming.

Possible they were old or they were mishandled (for example, not stored in the correct temperature range). Unless you are looking for different varieties or adding diversity to your flock, it's generally best to hatch your own eggs; I collect eggs for 10 days (stored at 65F and turned several times a day), so you should be able to fill your incubator if you follow that program.

Infertile eggs probably aren't affecting oxygen levels since there isn't respiration happening. From what I've read, once they start pipping/hatching the need for oxygen increases rapidly.

Interesting that electricity is such an issue in Oz. You need some nuclear plants!:D If you use a broody, it should be a banty or it will likely crush the eggs.

I use peroxide to disinfect between incubations. Bleach is good as well.

My current batch of eggs was smelling a little ripe, so I candled at 7 days and was able to remove the infertile eggs. I usually wait until lockdown to candle and remove clears, but best to get rid of any funkiness as early as possible.

Erkenstein. Thats what i will do from now on. I was able to bring in Manchurians from the previous hatch prior to this one. Hatched out three 1 male and 2 females that survived to adulthood and a sole female rosetta. I had some browns, italians already.

Wanted to add some Texas A&M as my two died. But no luck. Maybe its better to buy adult Texas A&M. Cause from now on i will just be saving money by hatching my own eggs.

This is the problem i think the guys eggs took 5 days to arrive int he mail, so assuming the eggs were already a few days old or more. They may have lost viability or from the posting process itself.

Whats a banty a smaller breed?

Yeah electricity went up in Oz. Cause of the subsidies they charge in tax to role out this 30 year green electric plan. Which is good if you own your own house and can put up solar panels. But its shit for those renting.

Back
Top Bottom