1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Drying Mealworms

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by matarmitage88, Jan 8, 2014.

1. matarmitage88

matarmitage88 New Egg

Jan 8, 2014
    Hi

Sorry if i have placed this thread in the wrong forum but its seems to fit best under breeding

i am currently trying to find out how to dry the mealworm, I note that they can be placed in the freezer for 15-20 minutes to kill them in a humane way and then oven dried for 4-5 hours.

however, I would like to microwave dry and would like to know how to do this and for how long if possible please

Regards

Mat

2. fintuckyfarms

fintuckyfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2013
    Finley WA
    Following...

3. Stewarts

Stewarts Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2013
    PEI, Canada
    A few years ago, I decided to experiment on how 'safe' my microwave was after doing research that told me using it literally 'alters' my food. I had just bought 5 Thyme herbs from the greenhouse in small containers for my window box. They were healthy and the same size. I watered three with tap water and two with water I microwaved and cooled. Within five days the perfectly healthy plants I watered with the microwaved water had withered and were dying.
    This is what the microwave does to our food as well. My hubby cut the cord off the microwave and threw it in the recycle bin. That was 8 years ago and I've never missed it. Oddly, the minor health ailments we had suffered for some time also disappeared.

I would not use the microwave to dry the mealworms.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by