Dual Purpose Chickens- advice needed

He was a cockerel, maybe 4 pounds live weight and 3ish when we processed? He was definitely scrawny feeling, but bigger than a bantam Cochin that had a better feel to him.

Naked Necks are also usually pretty safe for meat and eggs
Wow, I'd have expected MUCH better from them. I can get 3.5-4# out of my hens at that age. At least, the hens I'm keeping as breeders. Naked Necks I understood to be slow to mature, and much smaller eggs, less frequent layers - though I've no first hand expereience with either.

One of the hens killed by an owl was our Minorca. She was one of our friendliest chickens. As to naked necks, my wife won't even consider them. When TSC, Atwood's or Orsheln has leftover chicks and they're giving them away for a dollar (or buy one for a dollar/get one free, the NNs are the only ones my wife leaves.

Wow, I'd have expected MUCH better from them. I can get 3.5-4# out of my hens at that age. At least, the hens I'm keeping as breeders. Naked Necks I understood to be slow to mature, and much smaller eggs, less frequent layers - though I've no first hand expereience with either.
Honestly I don't know his weight. I might be able to weigh a similar sized bird tomorrow to get a live weight. It was enough that we had leftovers between the two birds.

My pulleys take a while to get big, but I have a cockerel from may or June that's a big boy already. My girls all lay 5 or 6 or 7 days a week, as long as they get enough feed

Back
Top Bottom