Dual-Purpose Flock Owners UNITE!

i think i may have a few dual-purpose hens in my flock..i have: RIR, White Rock, Delaware, Buff Orp's., Barred Rock,Blk. Sex Links(are those meat also ?),Gold/red Sex Links ?,Marans. also...they were all born in May...are they to old to eat now?(besides for stewing), Thanks for any replys, Wendy

Quote:
I don't know about sex links - the rocks, the delaware the buff orp and the rir are all supposed to be dual purpose. Although, I have a rir hen and she is one of the smaller hens I have. My white rocks are good sized hens, though. I just hatched a couple of buff orps, so have yet to see what body type they'll come up with.

meri

The sex links are not too large but could be considered dual purpose, I would suppose. Mine are comparable to my Doms in size, good layers and quirky little personalities! I don't think any of my others compare with the White Rocks for growth rate and finished size...them gals are beefy!
tongue.png

yeah..my white rock was a beast when she was a chick!...WAY bigger then my other chicks.....and now she is still a pretty big girl...i cant eat that one though..lol..her name is pearl...you cant name the ones your gonna maybe someday eat...
lau.gif
..*lesson learned!*...so..are my others to old to eat now?..will they be too tough?..they were born in may....

Well, you could eat them but, chances are, they may be a little tough now...there are ways to combat that, though. Can those girls up and the meat is as tender as anything! You could even can a 10 year old chicken and have some tender, tastey meat when you open the jar...
tongue.png

cool..never knew you could can meat at home!...i'll have to look into that idea!..thanks again, Wendy..p.s...do you have a recipe for canning it?..

i eat my roo's between 8 months and a year old,, and have never had a tough 1. them getting tuff under a year is mostly in people "heads" ,, there MAY be a couple breeds that get tough sooner then that,, but MOST are just as tender at 1 year,, as they are at 6 months.

I don't have a problem with names and dinner. Dinner can have had a name here with no problems. Dinner was probably hugged just before dispatch. But then I'm a black-hearted thing any way.

Yesterday I culled three because they didn't fit the program, one mean, one failure to thrive, and one excess. Only excess was big enough to eat, his name was Odd.

On Saturday two more get it. Gone mean, mostly to the other birds, but I don't need that, they're totally big enough for dinner. Time for Laura to learn to dispatch some chickens and butcher properly. So far, it's been my thing.

On the happy side the rest of the group are growing and thriving and some of the cockerals getting hefty. And the pullets beginning to fill out and fill in their lovely pencilling feathers. I'm delighted.

The Partridge Rock project continues.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom