Dual-Purpose Flock Owners UNITE!

Quote:
Silver duckwing cubalaya pullet, she had the unfortunate inheritance of slate legs (standard calls for white legs in all colors 'cept black) but that's okay 'cause I'm gonna use her for somethin' special.
big_smile.png

Here's a more current and up close photo:

CubalayaPullet-SlateLegged.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine are going to eventually be dual purpose. If someone stops laying or hatching.... yummm

Right now I'm using my silkies for eggs, and mini bators and mamas. They have done an awesome job or getting rid of ant mounds too.... was worried about the fire ants we heard about, but since the chickens haven't seen any... and the mounds we did have, long gone!

We're going to start hatching to sell chicks in the spring... we end up with any we can't sell or more roosters then in the freezer they go.

We're keeping our current roo as he's doing a great job chasing off stray cats... he earns his keep.

Last edited:
my flock is dual purpose. what does not lay or is used for breeding or will be eaten. I think this is the best way. But I am a very new chicken raiser with a lot less land then most so this is the easiest for me
smile.png

Quote:
Doesn't mean there aren't breeders working on introducing the other wheaten based colors.
roll.png
With enough of the other colors shown, a group of breeders can petition the APA to add them to the standard.
old.gif

i hope you are right chickengurl. i have one breeding pen for bb red only. i have another pen for my white rooster, red pyle hens, brown red hens and a white hen. i am thinking the white roo X brown red hen would make silver duckwing?

I have a bird in my flock that resembles this one, though with a different comformation and a weird, half-pea comb. Its my understanding she was a cross with a RIR and an ornamental rooster from MM hatchery that my sister incubated. She also has the blue/green legs, but her other markings and colorings are almost identical to the bird in this post.

Back
Top Bottom