Dual Sexed Pullet?

farmnchef

Hatching
7 Years
Oct 24, 2012
Hi all,

I have an interesting question for all of those who have read up on this topic. Has anybody ever had a dual-sexed chicken? I have looked up cases regarding dual-sexed chickens. Apparently, their egg gets fertilized by 2 sperm and they develop traits of both the male and female sex. I have a 6-7 month old production red who used to give me an egg everyday. For the past month or so, she has not been giving me an egg. But the other production red I have from the same clutch still gives me an egg daily.

The production red in question also has been acting weirdly. I have a small Polish mix breed chicken who, when I had a rooster, used to get molested daily, leaving her head feathers ripped out and bald. The production red is starting to act the EXACT same way. Everytime they are out together, the production red chases and jumps on the Polish as if to mate with her. All the while, ripping feathers from her head. I been fighting to keep the Polish seperate so as her head can heal, but it is only a matter of seconds of interaction where she will get destroyed.

The other 4 birds I have get along perfectly with the Polish. It is only that production red that bothers her. Any ideas if this is in fact a dual-sexed bird. If so, what should I do about her/him? Thanks.

The jumping on another chicken, besides being done during mating, is also a gesture of dominance. It is fairly common for a crested bird to get picked on, particularly by getting his crest feathers pulled, by larger chickens.

In flocks where there is no rooster, it is farily common for one hen to become the dominant hen, and to take on some "rooster-ish" characteristics. This can include, not laying, jumping on the backs of others, and attempts to crow.

Thanks flockwatcher,

That makes a lot of sense. But the production red in question isn't at the top of the pecking order by a long shot. She is almost last on the totem pole. Does it matter that he/she isn't leader of the pack?

Back
Top Bottom