Duane Urch

Status
Not open for further replies.
I received White Wyandotte hatching eggs from him last year. I'm very happy with the resulting bird's type and would highly recommend his birds to anyone.

Laura, I'm going to pay devils advocate. If Mr. Urch's buckeyes are so awesome and he has had them for nearly 50 years or more.....why hasn't he done ANYTHING with them? He is a Hall of Fame exhibitor and master exhibitor in about MANY breeds....I think he raises over 100 breeds..that in itself is a chore...but has never had any success with a Buckeye. If that is the case, why are they awesome? Just curious!?!?!?! From what I've seen, they are lacking the necessary size required in the standard.

So sorry I didn't respond to your demands for a reply right away, for some reason the "subscription" for this thread got dropped and I didn't see you were chomping at the bit for a reply from me.

I think Mr. Urch's birds are awesome for many reasons. But first and foremost, I think they're awesome because they have that amazing dark color that you and your buddies prize so very highly. They are the dark red birds you go on and on an on about to the exclusion of everything else (including type, I might add.) However, they do also have very good type.

The one thing I do know is, Mr. Urch's birds, over the years, did decline in fertility (he told me this himself) because he kept a closed flock for so long. Remember, he has been breeding Buckeyes for more than 50 years. FIFTY YEARS. Without him, we would not have Buckeyes, IMO. So whatever you might think about his birds, I think for that reason alone, the man is owed a huge debt by those who have gotten into Buckeyes in the past ten years or so, for simply having kept the breed alive.

Now, the other thing to remember is, Mr. Urch is a judge. He judges many shows a year. And if you've never clerked for a judge, then you have no idea what it takes to judge a large show (Joe, have you ever clerked at a 2,000+ bird show, as I have?) I have seen judges like Mr. Urch work all day long, without taking more than ten minutes for lunch, on their feet the whole time, moving down the rows, pulling birds out of cages. Often cockerels who are at their first show and who might be frightened and who flog them, leaving them bleeding. Sometimes birds with mites that leave the judge with mites crawling up their arms. Birds that are dirty. Birds that are flighty and not cage trained and hard to catch. It's a labor of love, to be sure. And anyone who has judged for the decades that Mr. Urch has, does it because they are dedicated to the fancy.

So he doesn't show as much as you'd like? Well, tough. He's too busy judging, that's why! Who are you to pass judgement on him? He's in his mid to late 80s! Never mind that he also has some, I don't know, 20 to 30 odd other breeds he works with, many of which are equally as rare as the Buckeyes are. For you, or anyone, to think you're in a position to sling stones at someone like Duane Urch is just the heighth of hubris as far as I am concerned, and you really should just hush. It just shows how new you are to the fancy when you start dissing someone like Mr. Urch, and all it really does is make you look foolish to those who've been showing for a long time.

So sorry I didn't respond to your demands for a reply right away, for some reason the "subscription" for this thread got dropped and I didn't see you were chomping at the bit for a reply from me.

I think Mr. Urch's birds are awesome for many reasons. But first and foremost, I think they're awesome because they have that amazing dark color that you and your buddies prize so very highly. They are the dark red birds you go on and on an on about to the exclusion of everything else (including type, I might add.) However, they do also have very good type.

The one thing I do know is, Mr. Urch's birds, over the years, did decline in fertility (he told me this himself) because he kept a closed flock for so long. Remember, he has been breeding Buckeyes for more than 50 years. FIFTY YEARS. Without him, we would not have Buckeyes, IMO. So whatever you might think about his birds, I think for that reason alone, the man is owed a huge debt by those who have gotten into Buckeyes in the past ten years or so, for simply having kept the breed alive.

Now, the other thing to remember is, Mr. Urch is a judge. He judges many shows a year. And if you've never clerked for a judge, then you have no idea what it takes to judge a large show (Joe, have you ever clerked at a 2,000+ bird show, as I have?) I have seen judges like Mr. Urch work all day long, without taking more than ten minutes for lunch, on their feet the whole time, moving down the rows, pulling birds out of cages. Often cockerels who are at their first show and who might be frightened and who flog them, leaving them bleeding. Sometimes birds with mites that leave the judge with mites crawling up their arms. Birds that are dirty. Birds that are flighty and not cage trained and hard to catch. It's a labor of love, to be sure. And anyone who has judged for the decades that Mr. Urch has, does it because they are dedicated to the fancy.

So he doesn't show as much as you'd like? Well, tough. He's too busy judging, that's why! Who are you to pass judgement on him? He's in his mid to late 80s! Never mind that he also has some, I don't know, 20 to 30 odd other breeds he works with, many of which are equally as rare as the Buckeyes are. For you, or anyone, to think you're in a position to sling stones at someone like Duane Urch is just the heighth of hubris as far as I am concerned, and you really should just hush. It just shows how new you are to the fancy when you start dissing someone like Mr. Urch, and all it really does is make you look foolish to those who've been showing for a long time.

LOVE IT!!!! I too am annoyed with the negative comments directed at Duane [& others] who have committed so much to the fancy over the years. Especially when these comments are coming from some 10 chicken backyarder who can't see past colour.
Good call, Laura.

Where was I sliding stones? I gave him full credit for his attributes.....just wanted your opinion of awesome? I have clerked shows...actually clerked one this past weekend...I also judge shows for the AGFS. When I see pictures like the one above; (I found on an engine search) which are similar to ones I seen at shows, I don't see the problem with asking questions like I did. Personally, I don't see a dark red bird and white is not a good thing with with the breed. Type is also very questiobable. For someone who doesn't show...getting Hall of Fame status must be very difficult, you have to admit something doesn't add up! Owning a breed for 50 years is something, the inability for a hall of fame exhibitor to do anything with them is another (note: Mr. Urch is a great man.....that was never in question...ever). Not all men can be merical workers). Like I told you in that PM....you need to chill out.....I was just asking your opinion. As far as my depth of knowledge in fancy.....go ask Mr. Brown...wasn't he one of your buckeye hero's once upon a time?

Last edited:
Sorry. I don't recall seeing his name behind any Buckeye winners in the Poultry Press. Maybe I missed seeing his best birds. He was at the ON this year. Saw him. Don't recall seeing him on Championship row. There was a little girl with a Buckeye, and although she was about as tall as Duane, that's where the resemblance ended.

Blueface's question still stands. What makes his birds "awesome"?

Duane Urch is a Master Breeder several times over. Where do you get off making a comment like this? If the Buckeye pictured on your page is an example of your birds you won't be on Champion Row any time soon either.

Since I do not know Duane Urch personally but I've got all mixed reveiws about him and his birds. I must give this man the benefit of the doubt and this master breeder should be commended for his long duration as a judge and breeder.

Like someone said in here, Duane can raise superior birds but you have to remember that not ALL of his chicks would end up show quality or superior quality. We ALL have experienced some "flaws" or faults and it is our responsibility to make sure it does not get passed down. That is why I am reserving judgements for his Welsummers even only a couple didn't like them because of the flaws or faults they had. You simply just can not go by with one person said they got bad birds from him. If you get more than five or more people, there is some point that you would have to take your BEST judgement and take that chance.

As for Duane's Buckeyes, I've seen pictures of them over and over on internet and show curcuits (Poultry Press for one) and they have won more ribbons than any other Buckeye breeders today. If you dig the breeders line a bit more, you will find most of the foundation stock came from Duane. He has produced consisently and quality so don't let a few culled chicks make him look bad, just look at the whole picture and the percentile basis on his Buckeye chicks. A few small percentage would qualify as excellent show specimens, while a good number percentage would be "breeders" stock and probably remining number would qualify as "pet" quality. Any good breeder would know this.

If you want to know more about Duane's birds, talk to the show people, talk as many as you can before you can decide whether or not you want to take that risk. No breeder would guarantee their chicks as show quality. If they do, pass them up, they are lying. If you want show quality, ask them for pairs and trio of show birds and be prepared to spend a bit more than you ever would. There is no such thing as a "perfect diamond", the only "perfect diamond" is the man-made material stone.

No breeder would guarantee their chicks as show quality. If they do, pass them up, they are lying. If you want show quality, ask them for pairs and trio of show birds and be prepared to spend a bit more than you ever would. There is no such thing as a "perfect diamond", the only "perfect diamond" is the man-made material stone.

Well said! But I would amend that to add, no reputable breeder would guarantee their chicks as show quality. We can say our chicks come from show quality breeding stock, but that's all we can say. And no one can guarantee that show winning stock will throw show winning chicks, that's for sure. No one has perfect birds, as you say. We are always working to improve our birds, that's the point of it all! Anyone who says they have perfect birds is either lying, or deluded.

Where was I sliding stones? I gave him full credit for his attributes.....just wanted your opinion of awesome? I have clerked shows...actually clerked one this past weekend...I also judge shows for the AGFS. When I see pictures like the one above; (I found on an engine search) which are similar to ones I seen at shows, I don't see the problem with asking questions like I did .
What makes you think that bird is from Duane Urch?
Personally, I don't see a dark red bird and white is not a good thing with with the breed. Type is also very questiobable. For someone who doesn't show...getting Hall of Fame status must be very difficult, you have to admit something doesn't add up! Owning a breed for 50 years is something, the inability for a hall of fame exhibitor to do anything with them is another
Why do you think he did nothing with them? Just because he didn't show them? Duane Urch has over 100 breeds and only a hand full of them he has become a master breeder of, it is harder to become a Master Breeder of a breed that has very little competition. Are you a master breeder... at all?
(note: Mr. Urch is a great man.....that was never in question...ever). Not all men can be merical workers). Like I told you in that PM....you need to chill out.....I was just asking your opinion. As far as my depth of knowledge in fancy.....go ask Mr. Brown...wasn't he one of your buckeye hero's once upon a time?

If one is so curious about how Urch's birds stack up to your own, why not put your money where your mouth is and get a batch of chicks to find out? Or anyone else's for that matter.

A wise, respectable breeder told me that when showing you are paying for a judge's opinion based on the SOP. And if you have exhibited birds at a double show, you will find that the opinion can and sometimes does differ quite a bit.

It seems that some question the quality of one's entire flocks of birds solely on how many shows they win or points they chase down. Or you may have seen one or two at a show. Or you may find a random picture on the internet that is obviously a cull and/or not fed a good diet.

Do you really think you are doing the breed, or yourself, or your "group" any favors by pointing out what you perceive as faults of others?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom