Dubbing OEG combs/ wattles?

Quote:
I totally respect your oppinion, however I have to ask; does neutering make them healthier and live longer ?? As a professional you are, you should probably know, the reproductive organs were given to the animals for a reason. Cuting them off, could afect the function of hormonal prosecess with in the normal functioning of the animal metabolism wich in many cases lead to obesity as I have seen before in dogs. I've never heard before, that a dog's tail or ears croped or a cocks comb dubbed have caused any particular health condition as a result of not having the particular body par remooved there anymore. We humans tend to be very superficial, wich is why we worrie so much about the way we look. Animals on the other hand, dont get afected by loosing an ear or a tail or a comb, they will keep on reacting as if the part was still there and they will not get hurt in theire own feelings and pride at all like us because of the absence of the particular part. They are stronger than us in mind spirit and body, and a game cock is the perfect example. After I dubb them and let them go, they go right away to crow, scratch the grownd for food, confront other cocks through the coop's chicken wire and mount their hens. I admire their stregth ! Your question is "Why do we alter for looks ?" based on your oppinion that to you, it does not make sence, yet you belive its ok to neuter and spaid wich could afect more serious body functions. You may have a point and I respect it, thats the way you feel and you chould go by your conscience. Base on the fact that dubbing a cock, is a very easy, quick, and safe procedure as much as it is docking a tail wich will not afect the normal functioning of the animals health, I will asck another question when it comes to altering; "Why not ??". We should be aloud to have oppinions and velieves; we should also be carefull not to fall into extremism based on opinions and velieves; we can end up fighting our fellow man over thing that dont really waight enough.

I can understand your point to a certain degree; I also respect it. Hope you were able to understand mine !
wink.png

Last edited:
I just found this thread (searching for why OEG are in the standard dubbed). I wanted to make sure my 11 yr old had his facts right for the poster he made for the county fair.
Personally I am very proud of my kiddo. He has 2 OEG bantams. One is dubbed (he was that way when we got him) and the other is not. He sadly can not show the one that isnt dubbed but my son wants to change that. He wants to change the Standard to.
this is what he has on his poster :Dubbing is where a Old English Game has his comb, wattles, and earlobes are C U T O F F!
This occurred because they where used for cock fighting so the other bird can’t grab anything on the face to make the bird bleed out.
I think this is cruel and it should stop.
1. It hurts them.
2. Its for nothing but the way they look
3. There are no health benefits
4. And for a Modern Game it gets cut to their Skull
5. This is how the bird was put into the standard many years ago and it should not remain this way in modern times.

along with this he has a picture of both his birds and a drawing of his bird and all the key points and features that are unique to this breed....I know he will "ruffle some feathers" doing this...but it was his idea and I am glad he feels this way! Might be different if we butchered our chickens but we dont, never could. Hard for me to even do a mercey killing but I am the only one that can do it here. But personally I feel butchering is more humane then mutilating a pet.

I tried to dub a rooster once. He had bad frost-bite on his comb. It was not pretty! He ended up as chicken and noodles. The bleeding was bad and I could not get it to stop, so I could only put him out of his misery. It was also our first time processing a chicken too, and that was a total fiasco.

there are health benefits to dubbing. depending on local and severity of weather. these are two deciding factors that may give very good reason for dubbing. and no where in the standard does it call for cutting a birds comb to the comb. i believe, its recommends leaving roughly a 1/4" or so.

ive dubbed literally hundreds and hundreds of roosters through the yrs. sometimes they bleed profusely but usually there is very little to almost no blood. but ive never lost one while dubbing. ever. even those that bleed heavily you will be amazed that they rarely show any indication of loss of blood. they are quick to clot and very quick to heal up. if you dub, then immediatly after feed up for the evening, the feed bucket will distract them. and the next day they are all clotted up and acting like nothing ever happened.

Last edited:
no offence but where are yous from im from north England and there a certain comb cuts for different types of oeg like weaton or black breasteds and red pyle you take them right of where as the silver / gold or spangled you cut it at a degrees where some people just do there own thing ............... look at
picture below hope it helps

right now i have roos with frostbite combs they have to come off i do not want to loose
birds to gang Green much less humane than removal of affected parts i have about 30 oegs it is my responsibility to keep them healthy
this is just part of it not for everyone

Show a picture of damage. You maybe able to go short without dubbing. The infection can be controlled and once that done then look into dubbing. Make so one stressor at a time when practical.

3 just got done i prefer the dubbed look . Static from family stopped me. I would never cause A problem like this, but keeping roos separated causes problems they all have at least 1 hen so they can share warmth. Those big combs are hard for them to keep warm. All of my cages are wrapped to keep the wind off as much as possible.

I live in Michigan the weather has been colder than normal and is suppose to continue for at least the next month. I learned from A friend how to dub only difference i do not cut earlobes most of the time

I leave "earlobes" intact as well. Will you be able to show a picturre of the frostbitten combs? Odds are you can ride out the infection usinf a little antibiotics. Biggest concern now will be frostbote on toes which can be secondary to health issues that interfere with birds ability to stay warm.

Back
Top Bottom