Dubbing

Thanks. I’ll give them a try. I bought a pair off ebay. Got one bird half way dubbed and threw them away. I finished with my wife’s Fiscers. The curved scissors are a plus when doing ear lobes and waddles.
I use fiskars leather and fabric trimming shears. I cut it all off though I don’t leave the ramp for a comb.
Most of the scissors that are sold for dubbing are junk anymore.

I just dubbed one of my older cockerels this past weekend. I used the curved vet scissors you discussed above, although I can’t remember where I purchased them. As for the comb, I simply use larger kitchen scissors. They are in my opinion easier to get through the thicker comb, and for me it only takes one good cut for an even dub.

I just dubbed one of my older cockerels this past weekend. I used the curved vet scissors you discussed above, although I can’t remember where I purchased them. As for the comb, I simply use larger kitchen scissors. They are in my opinion easier to get through the thicker comb, and for me it only takes one good cut for an even dub.
What do you do about the bleeding?

If the blood flow is heavy, or they are bleeding a lot, I use flour and pack onto the comb.
Does that stop it quickly, or do you need to keep an eye on them for a few hours?
Curious as to what is the ideal age to dub?
Can it be done when they are young(less flesh to cut),
or must you wait until comb is fully grown out?

Does that stop it quickly, or do you need to keep an eye on them for a few hours?
Curious as to what is the ideal age to dub?
Can it be done when they are young(less flesh to cut),
or must you wait until comb is fully grown out?
How heavy the blood is really impacts how well the flour will stop the bleeding, usually it’ll be beginning to dry and scab over in an hour for me. You can keep an eye on them, but the best thing is to leave them alone, in a darker pen (hence doing it right before their bed time) so they can come down, and not so much blood is pumping. Messing with them/opening their pen, making them alert creates blood circulation, and that cause more blood be lost.
I also suggest letting them get older. If you cut a comb too small, there’s a chance it will grow back, and possibly be harder to cut the second time. I usually wait until November, when cockerels are required by standard (for showing) and dub then, but I only did my recent one early so he’d look a little nicer for The IL central show in a few weeks, but he also had a huge comb already.

Back
Top Bottom