Dubbing

Ducks and Banny hens

Songster
8 Years
Nov 22, 2011
On a little Farm.
Hello everyone,
How does one go about dubbing a cock? Dubbing greatly lowers the surface area, and so reduces heat loss. I know where to cut, but I still have questions...

-How do you keep him still whilst you remove pieces of him?
-Anything that you're supposed to use to prevent bleeding, etc. ?
-Has Anyone ever eating the leftovers?

Quote:
Haven't ever done it, but I don't think you eat the left over part.
ep.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
Best bet for dubbing, I often do this alone.

get a small bucket fill with ice, then top off with water allow it to set 5 minutes.
Wrap the bird in a hand towel feet extended out the back and wings held firmly to the sides. exposing only the head and neck.
Dip the birds comb in the ice watter hold for about 30-45 seconds, the bird will naturally restrict blood flow to the cold comb.
Hold the head still by grasping the base of teh comb between your thumb and forefinger. hold tightly to restrict blood flow to teh comb and control the head, Trim wattles and earlobes, rinse head and neck in ice water, dip comb in the ice water again for 30 seconds, the comb will be nearly white at this point as there is little to no blood in the comb. Trim the comb at this point, dip in ice water to rinse any blood off set the bird down and start with the next one. no additional treatment has ever been needed when I have them this way.

Quote:
Haven't ever done it, but I don't think you eat the left over part

It is commonly eaten in several other countries, it is chewy and has very little if any flavor when not well seasoned.

Quote:
Haven't ever done it, but I don't think you eat the left over part

It is commonly eaten in several other countries, it is chewy and has very little if any flavor when not well seasoned.

Omg I could not..... But maybe that was the first chicken nuggets?
cool.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Best bet for dubbing, I often do this alone.

get a small bucket fill with ice, then top off with water allow it to set 5 minutes.
Wrap the bird in a hand towel feet extended out the back and wings held firmly to the sides. exposing only the head and neck.
Dip the birds comb in the ice watter hold for about 30-45 seconds, the bird will naturally restrict blood flow to the cold comb.
Hold the head still by grasping the base of teh comb between your thumb and forefinger. hold tightly to restrict blood flow to teh comb and control the head, Trim wattles and earlobes, rinse head and neck in ice water, dip comb in the ice water again for 30 seconds, the comb will be nearly white at this point as there is little to no blood in the comb. Trim the comb at this point, dip in ice water to rinse any blood off set the bird down and start with the next one. no additional treatment has ever been needed when I have them this way.

Interesting. I've never heard of this technique, but I'm going to try it this next year with any male Modern chicks we raise.

I was watching a tv show about weird foods in other countries a while back. They were in Indonesia, and there was a street vendor selling various deep fried oddities. One of them was fried rooster combs, apparently it's quite a popular food there.

I believe Chris09 has some good info on dubbing so maybe he will chime in soon.

But for the couple times I've done it, I just wrapped the bird tightly in a towel to keep it still, cut the comb with scissors, held an ice cube on the cut for a bit, and then put flour on it to help clot the blood but they usually don't bleed a lot.

Back
Top Bottom