D'uccle breeders Database

Pics
Ok, so who's still breeding d'uccles in 2011? Please post and say 'I' and what colors you have........

Please.....

I have porcelain, and a few milles. The porcelains are looking good, the milles are out of hatchery hens and a nice porcelain rooster, but are taking more after their moms in the comb and color departments. I'm looking to add more Milles to my flock this year.... I should have hatching eggs in the spring available, and will repeat my NPIP testing in March. There weren't many d'uccles at the double show I attended in October so I won best of breed and best of variety in both shows- there were only 3 other d'uccles to compete with as there were a bunch of empty d'uccle cages of someone who didn't attend but who paid the entry fee. I'm telling you, it's because of lack of breeders!

6152_img_3155.jpg

I noticed My Pet Chicken sold out of Mille Fleurs early last year after the Martha Stewart show had their chicken episode. They are already sold out for February and most of March too!

Last edited:
I'm breeding mille fleur, for sure. I currently have 13 hens and 2 roos, but I plan on selling a few of the older hens.

I have a white pair now, that I got at the OH Nationals. I have to build first, but may have some available later, as I have a few black girls I can add to his harem.

I plan to have lavenders by summer. Crossing project birds to a lovely rooster I'm hatching in 3+ weeks
wink.png

I still have goldnecks, as well.

And I may have the start of a lemon mille project. We'll see....

I'll be attending the 1/15 show in GA, for sure, as it's a d'Uccle club Special Meet.
I'd like to attend the Feb show in GA as well.

I think I'm the only d'Uccle breeder in my area, so I plan on hatching a BUNCH of chicks to sell at shows from February on. I had hoped to be NPIP certified by now, but that process is taking longer than I had expected
sad.png

I'd like to have some competition at the local shows, even if I compete against my own 'grandchicks'.

Well, wonder of wonder, I've managed to work things out here and I'm keeping my birds! Yippee!!
ya.gif
wee.gif

I'm beside myself with joy as my heart was breaking about the prospect of having to give up my precious babies.
hit.gif

I've got Mille Fleur, Porcelain and Lavender; plus I've got a really pretty "golden neck" that I don't think is a golden neck. I think she's a splash. I won't know for sure until I breed her, but her pattern or where is supposed to be white is more of a cream color, therefore I think she's a splash and I'll end up getting blue Mille Fleur, which certainly won't hurt my feelings. If they retain their type (which is good) and just go blue, they'll be beautiful.
I'm particularly excited about my lavenders. This pair is not just pretty, but they are SO personable. The roo is exceptionally sweet, I've never had a roo that is naturally this gentle and people trusting. The only thing is, his hen makes up for his lack of aggression. She is very amusing, when I handle the other hen she takes it on herself to try to "protect" her buddy. She's such a kick. I just hope this isn't an indication of a hormone problem. Has anyone ever had a hen that acted like a roo? (she doesn't crow, however.)
I also found out that my porcelains aren't as tough as the Mille Fleurs. They have a coop that is the same size as the MFs, 3'Lx2'Wx3'T. The ceiling is insulated and the windows and doors have flaps that overlap the cracks around them. None the less, it wasn't enough for the porcelains and during one of our REALLY cold days, I went out to check on everyone and found him, looking very much like he was frozen stiff, on his back all twisted up. I picked him up and put him under my coat, next to me. It didn't take long before I felt him starting to shiver so I knew that at least he was alive. I brought him and his hen in the house and kept them in until I could figure something out. I've got a very different arrangement for them now, so I'm pretty sure they will be OK now. I'll just have to keep a close eye on them.

Well anyway, after all of this is said as I mentioned before - I have Mille Fleur, Porcelain, and Lavender and probably Blue Mille Fleur after I start breeding that one hen and find out what she is genetically. I've got my money on the Andalusian gene.

I know winter just got here, but I already can't wait for spring to get here.
celebrate.gif

Quote:
I'm so happy that you are going to be able to keep your babies. What a Happy New Year for YOU~!!
celebrate.gif

I'll be breeding MF & Black Mottled this Spring. I have a trio of MF & 2 pair of Black Mottled available now. They are 3 months old & I do ship.

Here are pics of some of my breeders & I will get pics of the available birds if anyone is interested.

18946_duccles_11-4-5-7.jpg

King Arthur

18946_black_mottled_hens_8-14-09_003.jpg

Polka Dot

18946_black_mottled_hens_8-14-09_004.jpg

Domino

18946_black_mottled_mf_f3s_002.jpg

Black & Blue Mottled babies

18946_customer_pics_2-22-09_018.jpg

Cinnamon & girls

18946_james_mfc_cockerels_3-17-09_mf_duccles_jill_009.jpg

Lemon Drop

18946_img_2169.jpg

Merlin

18946_img_2107.jpg

Blue Mottled baby

Quote:
I *love* Polka Dot.
smile.png
I didn't win any of my bids on your eggs last year, but I'm hoping to get some of your Blk Mottleds this year. Love your names too... no Morgan? Guinevere? Vivian?

I'm not breeding anything of my own at the moment, but I have a MF hen and pullet, and hatched a few more this past spring. I showed and sold a gorgeous self-blue cockerel who was awesome.
smile.png

Thanks so much for your well wishes Lynne. My heart was broken for sure.
hit.gif
However, all is well now. I did have to work really hard to get this together and I had to do some really fast shuffling for my porcelains. I thought they would be about the same as all the rest of the d'Uccle, but it would appear at least on the part of this roo that he can't take the cold very well. I nearly lost him one night when it was in the low 20's. I went out to lock everyone up, and I thought I should take a look at him (for some reason????) I found him on his back all curled up in a knot, stiff as a board. I thought for sure he was dead, but I put him under my coat and very shortly I felt him begin to shiver. I brought him and his hen in for the night and the next, just until I could get their set up right, and now they're back out and more safe and snug in their coop. I had to give them a tiny coop inside their regular coop that is 2'wx4'lx3'h. They just couldn't stay warm in that, it was too big.
I'm looking at buying one of those sheds now. I think that would be the answer to all my problems.
thumbsup.gif

My hubby and I will be breeding and selling this year.

We have a trio of Black Mottleds, 4 MF girls, a GN roo, a butterscotch girl, and I have eggs on the way from GypsyChick.

We sell and ship eggs and can travel to meet for birds, but prefer not to ship birds. We will be NPIP certified by the end of January.

wwmicasa1 do you sell eggs? If so, can I get on a list to get some from you in the srping?

Gypsylion: I *love* Polka Dot. I didn't win any of my bids on your eggs last year, but I'm hoping to get some of your Blk Mottleds this year. Love your names too... no Morgan? Guinevere? Vivian?

I had a Lancelot & Mordred but they have passed on. I do have a Porcelain- Sir Percival who is true to his name. I also hatched a little cockerel this summer who is blue mottled with gold hackle & saddle feathers. If I keep him, I will have to come up with a proper Knight's name~!

Lilcrow:

Gosh, I'm so glad you were able to save your little porcelain. It has been so cold here the last two nights (15 degrees & I live in CALIFORNIA
barnie.gif
) The majority of my birds are outside with covered runs (top) but not sides. They have weathered the cold well but some of them are smart enough to go into their Igloos. Others are not so smart
sad.png

Acid_chipmunk:wwmicasa1 do you sell eggs? If so, can I get on a list to get some from you in the srping?

None of my girls are laying now due to our heavy rain & cold. Shoot me an email about mid Feb. & I should start seeing some improvement in the egg laying dept. By then I will have checked fertility. This cold weather has been horrible on my Cochin boys. I see them doing their job, but the last bunch of eggs I candled were clear.
he.gif

WOW!!! 15 degrees?
ep.gif

That's cold even for Ohio, how did your birds manage that? Have they ever been through anything that cold before? My outdoor runs are all covered and they have heavy weight sheet plastic on the sides to stop the wind from blowing through. That's part of what I do to winterize my set up, but we expect to get temps like that. I can't imagine what that must have been like to have that come up as a snap and that severe. I'm surprised you didn't have any problems and are you saying that you had birds that didn't go in their coops at night? Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr................. Goofy birds!
By the way, how did you get the blue mottled? That's really interesting. Am I seeing black and blue together on the same bird, or two different shades of blue? I really like that look.
Oh, also your hens are breathtaking.
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom