D'uccle chick with deep red bloody poop

Anime2lover

Keeper of tiny dinos
Apr 17, 2019
My d'uccle chick has been not as active for the last few days. A few days ago we brought her in for specialized care and vigilance. We have also been giving her anti biotics. But today I just looked in and saw this deep bloody poo in with her. Could she have coccidiosis?
IMG_20210505_112101.jpg

Yes, I would treat for coccidiosis, asap. 2 tsp of the liquid Corid, or 1.5 tsp of the powder to one gallon of water, the only water it should have access to, for 5-7 days. I would also give this chick an oral dose in addition to the medicated water, instructions for that are here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/corid-oral-drench-instructions.1211991/
If the chick is not drinking well on it's own, I would give the medicated water mixture orally several times a day until it starts drinking on it's own.
The others it was with have been exposed, I would consider treating them all.

Yes, I would treat for coccidiosis, asap. 2 tsp of the liquid Corid, or 1.5 tsp of the powder to one gallon of water, the only water it should have access to, for 5-7 days. I would also give this chick an oral dose in addition to the medicated water, instructions for that are here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/corid-oral-drench-instructions.1211991/
If the chick is not drinking well on it's own, I would give the medicated water mixture orally several times a day until it starts drinking on it's own.
The others it was with have been exposed, I would consider treating them all.
I have the powder already. Can it be sprinkled over the food to? She is still eating well on her own.

The mixed Corid water can be also be mixed with food, but I would not sprinkle the powder over it (if that is what you meant.) You can add the powder Corid 1.5 tsp to 10 ml (2 tsp) of water, and that solution is equal to the liquid Corid. That can be given as a drench 0.1 ml per pound of weight twice a day as a boost if they are not drinking well.

The mixed Corid water can be also be mixed with food, but I would not sprinkle the powder over it (if that is what you meant.) You can add the powder Corid 1.5 tsp to 10 ml (2 tsp) of water, and that solution is equal to the liquid Corid. That can be given as a drench 0.1 ml per pound of weight twice a day as a boost if they are not drinking well.
Did see her drink today so I think she's still drinking. But she doesn't use a gallon waterer inside because we don't have anymore available. She's got a little dog dish for water. I'm bad at math and is confused as to figure out how much corid water something that small would need.

All waterers are switched to corridor again this year....... We did a deep thorough clean of our coop after the last bout earlier this winter, why did it return so soon?

It is nearly impossible to erradicate coccidia in the environment, it survives for a very long time. Chicks are most susceptible, but once exposed they have a chance to build immunity. Older birds are much less likely to get sick unless their immune systems are weakened. I would treat the chicks that were kept together, the older birds are likely resistant to whatever strain(s) you have and probably will not get sick.
If you are interested, there is a good video in post #1 in this thread on coccidiosis:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/coccidiosis-video-worth-watching.1262022/#post-20259051
There is another video a bit farther down in the same thread.

It is nearly impossible to erradicate coccidia in the environment, it survives for a very long time. Chicks are most susceptible, but once exposed they have a chance to build immunity. Older birds are much less likely to get sick unless their immune systems are weakened. I would treat the chicks that were kept together, the older birds are likely resistant to whatever strain(s) you have and probably will not get sick.
If you are interested, there is a good video in post #1 in this thread on coccidiosis:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/coccidiosis-video-worth-watching.1262022/#post-20259051
There is another video a bit farther down in the same thread.
We like to be on the safe side and treats all. So all waters have it now.

Back
Top Bottom