d'Uccle color genetics

Pics
WOW! That's what I call a Gold Neck - or a Splash Mille Fleur. He is beautiful. I don't know why this is so hard to understand. At first I didn't get it until it was explained that this is the product of the Andalusian gene. That makes it very simple, it's the Black, Blue, Splash thing.
Your Daffy is an absolutely magnificent splash mille fleur, with perfect patterning. He is perfect!
droolin.gif
love.gif

Quote:
If you are using splash to make goldenneck, you WANT the washed out splash with few to no splashes. I would tend to think you would not want to mix your golden necks with your blue mille fleurs. However, I am not a d'uccle breeder.

Quote:
If you are using splash to make goldenneck, you WANT the washed out splash with few to no splashes. I would tend to think you would not want to mix your golden necks with your blue mille fleurs. However, I am not a d'uccle breeder.

Sonoran, that's what I was wondering, are Goldnecks splash blue MF's, or are golden necks like my daffy the result of using splash to develop gold necks or neither? Daffy has no blue, he is definitely a gold neck, and I plan to breed him to only other gold necks.

lilcrow, Thanks for the compliment. I think Daffy is probably the most beautiful chicken I have. Often, visitors to my place try to buy him, but I won't part with him. (His full name is Daffodil. lol We named him before we knew he was a he.)

Do you understand the Andalusian gene? Mille Fleur d'Uccle, Blue Mille Fleur d'Uccle, and the Splash Mille Fleur d'Uccle aka (Gold Neck) are the same thing as the Black Cochin, Blue Cochin and the Splash Cochin. The colors reproduce just alike, which means more than likely you will probably get a washed out bird if you breed two Gold Necks together. They have to be bred like any other Andalusian colored bird. I'm not up on the % of how many of which one you get when you breed each one to each, but there is a formula for this that is very predictable.
It really is much more simple than it appears.
ya.gif

How long does it take for the white tips to come in on their tails? How long should you wait to decide to cull because of that reason? And is that a reason to cull?

It took my MF roo a full year. He had to molt first before they showed up. My birds are heritage, so they took a really long time to get their white spots at all.

Quote:
Came from a breeder that shows them, so older family tree. Slower to develope. Mine were a year old before they laid the first egg.
On the other hand, where many are only SQ during their first 6-18 months, mine are still winning at almost 3 years old. And still laying as steadily as they did as young birds, which isn't saying much since they stop at every cold spell!

Hatchery birds generally develope faster and get too many spots too early in life. But it depends on the hatchery, I'm sure!

At 6 months old I have a hard time selling my MF's as SQ because they have so few spots. No one understands they will be gorgeous for so much longer as a result.

Back
Top Bottom