d'Uccle Cult

The gates to most of my chicken pens are inside the duck pen. I had let the ducks out, so I leave that gate open. I’m not sure where my ducks were at the time. Hawks usually don’t make it thru the gate, and this is the first one that has made its way back out. It’s a small young one. But he is determined alright. I’ve known that other predators have grabbed chickens through wire, but this is the first hawk I’ve seen able to do it. I guess he caught her just right.
Im really sorry 😞 that hawk did look smaller, is that the size it'll grow to? The ones over here look like eagles.. i thought golden eagles, but everyone out here says they are hawks.

Ugh, there are 2 black vultures that keep landing on the chimney on the house to the side of mine, that's in addition to the new hawk nest. I think its 2 blocks downhill from me. But... then today. I saw one circling and trying to land (maybe it did) in the tree next door! I wonder if they are scoping out my chickens specifically 🤔 It's roofed, but I swear they know what a coop is for!
I totally agree with you!!!
The d'uccles were worn out after their adventure yesterday outside! I know I can't do this everyday as the longer they were out, the braver they got and wandered too far from the run.
But hopefully once a week or so if we have decent weather I can let em have the freedom.
Well just all have to be very aware of what's in and around above us constantly.

I let them out a bit ago. Its sunny and 75 out (of course I'm working though). I was sitting in a lawn chair while they were all pecking around the lawn. And a giant shadow crossed over me! Took me a minute to find it, but it was in a pair of black vultures. So, back in the run they went.

My son did a report on them in second grade (and he was extremely thorough 😆). I had learned that unlike turkey vultures, black vultures WILL eat an animal while it's alive. Nothing that can fight back of course, they are smart.

Found this disgusting and disturbing article on them: https://apnews.com/article/e79711967910490db3368c1339545e47

Im really sorry 😞 that hawk did look smaller, is that the size it'll grow to? The ones over here look like eagles.. i thought golden eagles, but everyone out here says they are hawks.
Our hawks even have white heads
I let them out a bit ago. Its sunny and 75 out (of course I'm working though). I was sitting in a lawn chair while they were all pecking around the lawn. And a giant shadow crossed over me! Took me a minute to find it, but it was in a pair of black vultures. So, back in the run they went.

My son did a report on them in second grade (and he was extremely thorough 😆). I had learned that unlike turkey vultures, black vultures WILL eat an animal while it's alive. Nothing that can fight back of course, they are smart.

Found this disgusting and disturbing article on them: https://apnews.com/article/e79711967910490db3368c1339545e47
Definitely good to know...I was hoping there would be better pics of these things so I know what to look for n be concerned about.

Our hawks even have white heads

Definitely good to know...I was hoping there would be better pics of these things so I know what to look for n be concerned about.
They actually look like a really massive crow/raven, same pointy shaped beak too. They have short tails which make them look smaller than a turkey vulture.. in fact, the first time i saw them nearby on the ground, i thought they were just large black chickens that got out of someone's yard!

Here are comparisons:
https://www.birdwatchingdaily.com/p.../us-and-canada/turkey-vulture-black-vultures/

They actually look like a really massive crow/raven, same pointy shaped beak too. They have short tails which make them look smaller than a turkey vulture.. in fact, the first time i saw them nearby on the ground, i thought they were just large black chickens that got out of someone's yard!

Here are comparisons:
https://www.birdwatchingdaily.com/p.../us-and-canada/turkey-vulture-black-vultures/
Do they have a specific sound they make wonder?! We have tons of crows (or so I thought they were)!
Thankfully the hawk must be young cuz he makes his squawk pretty frequently!!! Nice of him!

Do they have a specific sound they make wonder?! We have tons of crows (or so I thought they were)!
Thankfully the hawk must be young cuz he makes his squawk pretty frequently!!! Nice of him!
No, they aren't noisy like crows,i haven't heard them make any noise at all. But when they fly, they glide mostly, rather than flapping their wings too much, and there's usually a few together.

No, they aren't noisy like crows,i haven't heard them make any noise at all. But when they fly, they glide mostly, rather than flapping their wings too much, and there's usually a few together.
I bet that's what I've got instead of just usual buzzards!
They almost immediately show up if I let them out in the yard and always 2 or more of em...larger than a hawk my son-in-law said. He says they are waiting for whatever to die so they can eat it.
I guess it doesn't matter what it is...I need to be out there with em if they are going to be I'm the yard. Otherwise I'm asking for trouble.

I bet that's what I've got instead of just usual buzzards!
They almost immediately show up if I let them out in the yard and always 2 or more of em...larger than a hawk my son-in-law said. He says they are waiting for whatever to die so they can eat it.
I guess it doesn't matter what it is...I need to be out there with em if they are going to be I'm the yard. Otherwise I'm asking for trouble.
There's a neighborhood cat that had been at my coop a few times, and he seems to like our street, but I think he's feral. I've been shooing him away so he doesn't feel welcome, but that only works when he sees me.

Weather is sunny and very nice today. The chickens ran back and forth from one side of the yard to the other, but its funny because right at the 20 minute mark, they run back to the run and stare at me. Let's me know they are ready for treats and the door to be closed! 😆 who has who trained?

Ugh. Hawk on my fence! Then the dogs run up to it. It doesn't care. Then i run up to it, and it flies CLOSER to the coop. Then i shoo it again and it flies into my neighbors tree. Chickens were huddled low inside the mini coop (double predator protection). I guess we aren't doing playtime for a while.

I gave the girls a big handful of blueberries and they forgot about their lives being in danger the minute before. 🐷🐥

Back
Top Bottom