d'Uccle Cult

Hi D'Uccle people! I have only had standard hens before, but I live in an urban area so space is always a concern. I want to get a good amount of eggs so I never considered bantams, but then I saw that Meyer Hatchery claims their Mille Fleur Belgian Bearded D'Uccles lay 3-5 eggs per week.

Does anyone have these Mille Fleurs from Meyer? Do they really lay 3-5 per week? Also, are they very broody?

Mine definitely don’t lay that many. I’m honestly not sure my Feb/Mar Mille Fleur have ever laid and my May hatch porcelain definitely haven’t. They’re looking a bit redder lately, I saw one thinking about the nest box. My silkies are quite good layers
Thanks for the info. Yours are from Meyer?

Hi D'Uccle people! I have only had standard hens before, but I live in an urban area so space is always a concern. I want to get a good amount of eggs so I never considered bantams, but then I saw that Meyer Hatchery claims their Mille Fleur Belgian Bearded D'Uccles lay 3-5 eggs per week.

Does anyone have these Mille Fleurs from Meyer? Do they really lay 3-5 per week? Also, are they very broody?
I have 3 sexed girls from Meyer that I got as 1 day olds back in May of last year.
They began layin end of October...laid pretty consistently 3 or 4 a week even in the nest box!
Then the blizzard hit...they were the only ones to keep layin and then decided to go on strike after the blizzard...go figure!
They just began laying again this week!
3 girls each laying each day the past couple days and Never been broody.
Sassy? Yes! Definitely!!!

At times, i get daily eggs from my duccles! Right now, they are back to every other day after we had a deep freeze (they were very unhappy, zero eggs!!). Mine are from ideal, another mega hatchery. I have seen them trade off on sitting if i forget to get the eggs out, but not actually broody so far in 2.5 years. They do like to cuddle under my cochin when she's broody, and miss grumps-a-lot does NOT appreciate that.

Fun little beings!

20200711_144859.jpg 20200710_132737.jpg 20200723_170353.jpg

I have 3 sexed girls from Meyer that I got as 1 day olds back in May of last year.
They began layin end of October...laid pretty consistently 3 or 4 a week even in the nest box!
Then the blizzard hit...they were the only ones to keep layin and then decided to go on strike after the blizzard...go figure!
They just began laying again this week!
3 girls each laying each day the past couple days and Never been broody.
Sassy? Yes! Definitely!!!
Wow! That's very impressive. So it seems it does matter where you get them from. Meyer's must just be bred for better laying.
At times, i get daily eggs from my duccles! Right now, they are back to every other day after we had a deep freeze (they were very unhappy, zero eggs!!). Mine are from ideal, another mega hatchery. I have seen them trade off on sitting if i forget to get the eggs out, but not actually broody so far in 2.5 years. They do like to cuddle under my cochin when she's broody, and miss grumps-a-lot does NOT appreciate that.

Fun little beings!

View attachment 3396556View attachment 3396557View attachment 3396558
That's still a good amount of eggs! And your birds are so cute!! I will consider getting these in the future.

Back
Top Bottom