D'uccle Thread

Looks nice! Sure would be nice to have some palm trees in my area:) The closest thing I have is a roof rake (for getting snow off the roof) which fell on the coop and scared the chicks half to death, lol!

They do well, they are kind of prissy and stay inside most of the winter, I think they want to keep their little feathered feet dry!
Ugh, there is nothing more annoying than removing clots of mud from their feet feathers. I showed my friend a picture of them today and she said they looked like they were wearing flared pants xD.

Does anyone else love the little footprints they leave with little scuff marks beside it where the feathers have brushed?

Okay so I need to know if there is anyone with hatching eggs for the gold neck ,porcelain ,blue Millie fleur ,black Mille fleur ,or black and blue mottled d'uccles that will ship to Georgia

One of my two frizzle D'Uccles. She is about 12 weeks old now and makes such funny sounds :) I was wondering how to keep their feathers on their feet from getting broken and dirty? I've heard using sand for bedding works well, but I don't know if anything else goes on top of that or how often that would need to be cleaned out compared to wood shavings, which is what I'm using now.

One of my two frizzle D'Uccles. She is about 12 weeks old now and makes such funny sounds :) I was wondering how to keep their feathers on their feet from getting broken and dirty? I've heard using sand for bedding works well, but I don't know if anything else goes on top of that or how often that would need to be cleaned out compared to wood shavings, which is what I'm using now.

I use sand in my coop. Works wonderful. Use the contractors sand not play box sand. You want the sand loose and able to drain well, it basically grabs the poop, sticks to it and covers it so the poop drys out. So much less mess. I love it. My little d'uccle stays nice and clean and in wet rainy muddy snowy days I keep her inside till it drys out a but outside. As far as how often to change it, well that really depends on how many chickens you have in your coop. Basically just use commen sense. If its starts to look to dirty just switch it out with fresh sand. Also I heard where someone made a strainer type thing that allows the sand to go thru but strains the poop out. It saves on cost for purchasing new sand. Also some people use a kitty litter scoop to get out the worst of the poop. I have had my coop sense early April. I just have chicks right now but I have only racked it out once. I haven't had to clean it completely or replace any sand yet. Hope this helps!

I use sand in my coop. Works wonderful. Use the contractors sand not play box sand. You want the sand loose and able to drain well, it basically grabs the poop, sticks to it and covers it so the poop drys out. So much less mess. I love it. My little d'uccle stays nice and clean and in wet rainy muddy snowy days I keep her inside till it drys out a but outside. As far as how often to change it, well that really depends on how many chickens you have in your coop. Basically just use commen sense. If its starts to look to dirty just switch it out with fresh sand. Also I heard where someone made a strainer type thing that allows the sand to go thru but strains the poop out. It saves on cost for purchasing new sand. Also some people use a kitty litter scoop to get out the worst of the poop. I have had my coop sense early April. I just have chicks right now but I have only racked it out once. I haven't had to clean it completely or replace any sand yet. Hope this helps!

Thanks! Sounds a LOT less messy :p

The first D'uccle I got was a plain white hen that came with three other hens (a light sussex and two easter eggers).

Then, a couple of months later, I purchased three D'uccle pullets from a man breeding them. I got them cheap because they weren't up to show standard, but are adorable none the less! Here's two of them:

Anyone have any idea to what colour these two would be considered?

You can also see the head of my third D'uccle pullet in the background (she seems to have a dark porcelain coloured head, that shifts to a lighter tone with small black flecks throughout her feathers.)

Back
Top Bottom