D'uccle Thread

These are my first Mille Fleurs.

3 mos old roo

3 month old hen

Beautiful little birds...
love.gif

I have two roos like the one below, they are clean legged, supposed to be mille fluers, but im not sure?

"Mille Fleur" is the COLOR, not the breed.
wink.png

Yes, he is a Mille Fleur, but not a d'Uccle. d'Uccles have very small or no wattles, vulture hocks, very heavily feathered legs and feet, beards and muffs (the tufts on their cheeks). I would say he is probably a Mille Fleur Old English Game bantam. He is very pretty!
big_smile.png

I agree that you have an Old English Mille Fleur Game Bantam... but he is still beautiful. I love old english bantams.

So... D'uccles don't get wattles? Or are they just not as big as other breeds?

Also, whats the earliest signs so I can tell gender on mine? I only have one so I wont have another for size/color/comb comparison and I know that usually helps.. Mine is 2 weeks today.

I would say you will be able to tell by 5 or 6 weeks, but imma rookie also!
Yes, to telling gender at 5 weeks. For the standard of the breed, d'uccles are supposed to have tiny or almost nonexistent wattles. One of my mature roosters at the show last weekend has a wattle about the size of a pea, and the judge made the comment 'watch wattle size'

Yes, to telling gender at 5 weeks. For the standard of the breed, d'uccles are supposed to have tiny or almost nonexistent wattles. One of my mature roosters at the show last weekend has a wattle about the size of a pea, and the judge made the comment 'watch wattle size'

really the size of a pea lol wow each judge is different so gotta go with the flow i guess and do your best ;-)

Ohhhhhhh he looks naughty! He is pretty though:)
Oh he is! We had him since he was little..he used to be so loving..he whould fly on our shoulders, even on our head and just sit there!
tongue.png
..but when he got older he forgot all about it..he still tries to fly on us but just to bite..no loving involved
lol.png

He looks like a wicked rooster.....lololololol
lau.gif
..he does look wicked..and he is! We would have named him Chucky, just like the killing doll
lol.png
..but we have another roster with that name, he's not that agressive as this one thoug, it's just his face that got him his name
clap.gif

ok, so I was so excited to get my little d'uccle. After I researched and now can actually say the name correctly. Anyways, we are new to chickens and have a few different types of chicks, which we are having a blast with. I started searching in here yesterday, and I think my pretty little d'uccle is a boy/roo :( Which I am disappointed about because a few others I picked are also turning to pretty roos! And we can't have all these boys. Anyways, this is our little d'uccle. He is a very nervous little guy and doesn't like to be held much. He is very squirmy and difficult to catch, but I think he's very pretty. I thought he might be a boy since he already has a comb. Any opinions on him, thank you. He is 2 weeks old here.

Are they kinda nervous as chicks? Or is this bird specific, not breed specific? We have them in the living room, they are handled each day and fed treats by hand. Which he takes quite well! In comparison, they little polish, serama and silkie I have are quite docile when picked up and may scurry around the cage, but this guy is kinda wild! It was fun trying to get a photo of him!

He was very frustrated to be out of the crate away from his friends.

Last edited:
thebutress,
Those are some amazing pics! That third one of him jumping is great. My d'uccles are a bit on the wild side too. I think it must have something to do with genetics. I bought one that is unrelated to mine at a swap and she is 100% different: super friendly, loves to be pet etc. Right now I have 2 chicks that I am raising in the house from an incubator and 2 that are being raised by the hen that hatched them. They are all full brothers and sisters so it'll be interesting to see if there's ANY difference between the ones that get handled everyday and the ones that don't. We shall see.....

I look forward to hearing about your chicks as their personalities come out! I know its different with horses too, but usually when you raise the horse from a baby and spend lots of time with it, they become very gentle and not jumpy at all. I will keep working on it! Thank you for the compliments on the pics!

Back
Top Bottom