D'uccle Thread

I agree, that is an outstanding hen!
ep.gif
I second that! Love your birds shape!

ALrigth so its time to choose a couple roos to get rid of and 1 tough choice is which Mille Fleur to get rid of:( Help me out here. Im pretty sure the dark headed one is the one to go but I just want 2nd opinions to be sure.

Or this guy...both pics are just dif angles of the same one
Thanksssss

ALrigth so its time to choose a couple roos to get rid of and 1 tough choice is which Mille Fleur to get rid of:( Help me out here. Im pretty sure the dark headed one is the one to go but I just want 2nd opinions to be sure.

Thanksssss

Thanksssss

I like the thick neck and the feet on the first roo the best. He will probably get more white as he ages, but his wattles are bigger too. Personally, I like him the best, but I'm no judge either.
wink.png

Thanksssss
i would pick the 3rd 1 because he has the best comb and even coloring the dark head has way 2 much black 4 a good Mille Fluer!!

Thanksssss
Let the hens help you decide. What are their faults, and which roo balances them best?
The first looks like he has better feathers on his middle toe. His head is too dark, but he's young yet, and the black may still be migrating through the feathers.

If you can wait longer to make your decision, thats what I would do. Wait as long as possible, and then decide based on the flaws & strengths of the hens. If you need better foot feathers, go with the roo that has the best foot feathers, regardless of color. Does that make sense?

The 'best' roo isn't always the best choice, if he will reinforce flaws within the line.

That does make sense. Thanks! Ill have to do some inspecting tomorrow then. I didnt get a pic of it but the back of the dark headed ones comb is kinda funky. He has very small points side by side rather than just the 5 points. Theyre both SUPER friendly and nice and hate to see either of them go but I have to thin down a bit on the roos. I have 3 Mille roos total. The 3rd not pictured is decent(in my albums) and hes definitely not going. Hes the best guard I have and also super friendly like a dog haha. I have the blk mott roo, porc roo, and a couple mixed roos in the flock. (TOTAL-8 roos and 19 hens)
Only 3 of the roosters are adults though so im ok for the time being but not for long so Im forced to thin out a little

That does make sense. Thanks! Ill have to do some inspecting tomorrow then. I didnt get a pic of it but the back of the dark headed ones comb is kinda funky. He has very small points side by side rather than just the 5 points. Theyre both SUPER friendly and nice and hate to see either of them go but I have to thin down a bit on the roos. I have 3 Mille roos total. The 3rd not pictured is decent(in my albums) and hes definitely not going. Hes the best guard I have and also super friendly like a dog haha. I have the blk mott roo, porc roo, and a couple mixed roos in the flock. (TOTAL-8 roos and 19 hens)
Only 3 of the roosters are adults though so im ok for the time being but not for long so Im forced to thin out a little
Points side by side are bad, a DQ if shown.

I am keeping 3 roos together that i don't know what to do with, and they get along pretty good. Now and then there will be a little tifff over something, but it's settled with a few nips and hops. (No spurs yet)

BUT i don't have any hens with them. Hens are what roos fight over, i have had decent luck keeping roos together as long as there were no hens in eyesight of their pen. Gives you a bit more decision time! :)
eta that i guess not necessary :(

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom