Duck Addicts Anonymous (DAA)

Do you have too many ducks?

• Total voters
Pics
@FunnyfarmMidwest
Look here...
I think this Avatar ducks head is going to change after all. No I swear those other pictures I took were just a couple of days ago.
Amazing how fast they can change!
I do want to keep him.
At least for a while.
Since I wanted to keep little bit I went ahead and put her two girl hatch mates in with her when I moved her to the Palace side so she wouldn't be totally new to everyone. Safety in numbers..
So if I keep this Drake as well I can always sell him and those other two as a trio later on if I want.
View attachment 2873743View attachment 2873744
He's going to be so handsome! The neck ring is what pops out overnight here. I can't wait to see this drake in his nuptial plumage. Thank you for sharing pics of him 😍 I love Pastel drakes 😍

I haven't replied in a while, I must've missed a notification. While I was gone my duckies we're looking pretty ugly tho.

The Saxony are HUGE, they've got some really gorgeous heads on em. I'll take pics when I change their bands.
Oh no. Are they going through their awkward stage? I'm sure they're still adorable. I can't wait to see them. Whenever my little Buff Duck hen, Tom, was a duckling @Miss Lydia and I had a tough time figuring out what she was. I was hoping she was a Saxony but she didn't have that beautiful face. Don't get me wrong, I love Buff Orpington ducks too, but a Saxony face is gorgeous! I imagine a lot of the confusion was because Tom was hatchery quality but she's grown into a beautiful duck hen. Until her, Stormy (Cayuga) and India (Mallard), the only ducks I had ever seen in person were Pekins.

Oh no. Are they going through their awkward stage? I'm sure they're still adorable. I can't wait to see them. Whenever my little Buff Duck hen, Tom, was a duckling @Miss Lydia and I had a tough time figuring out what she was. I was hoping she was a Saxony but she didn't have that beautiful face. Don't get me wrong, I love Buff Orpington ducks too, but a Saxony face is gorgeous! I imagine a lot of the confusion was because Tom was hatchery quality but she's grown into a beautiful duck hen. Until her, Stormy (Cayuga) and India (Mallard), the only ducks I had ever seen in person were Pekins.
Ya, you could call it an awkward stage. Or the "Butt ugly" stage. They looked diseased, their feathers were so messy😂. They have really pretty buff/fawn/blush feathers here and there now.

Thank you so much for asking. She seems to be doing well. Last check, she was in the pool with the boys, welcoming their advances with a head bob. She gobbled up mealworms once again and was so excited to see me heading her way with them. Looking out the window, I see her laying down in the sun now. I just finished breaking up some egg shells and the others I'll leave halved. I'll take an egg with me to break in the run. Here's hoping she'll chose one of the calcium options.
Where did you find these smaller calcium tablets? Any chance you'd be able to share a picture of the bottle? I'd love to get some of those. The tablets I have are generic Citracal Plus and those tablets are huge. My mean lil Serama hen will lay an internally mended egg occasionally and she gets half a tablet a day until her eggs are better. It's amazing that I can fit it in her beak. There is no extra room at all. It wouldn't get stuck or anything like that, but there's no wiggle room. I can't imagine having to hold Faith, open her bill and get a tablet that size down her throat :idunno My big ducks have had access to broken eggs. They don't want any of it and leave it.
Yay about Faith!! 💖💖💖

I looked through my Amazon order history and they aren't selling that particular calcium anymore... It was this one, but in tablets not capsules.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003CNS3T2/ref=cm_sw_r_awdo_navT_a_GS9KNEWBW2EEHXJVAFX2

I think I likely just searched for the calcium I wanted, "calcium gluconate" and then probably "petites" "small" or "easy swallow." I don't know if you'll find better luck locating one you like at a vitamin store, I just used Amazon.

I searched for this, "calcium citrate with vitamin d3 petites," on Amazon and got many results. That's what you use, yeah? The vitamin d levels seem really high to me, and so I'm not sure which one is best.

Treating my girl for bumblefoot and just couldn't resist taking a photo of her. I can say she enjoyed her day of freedom in in the rain.
PXL_20211022_165436026.jpg

Yay about Faith!! 💖💖💖

I looked through my Amazon order history and they aren't selling that particular calcium anymore... It was this one, but in tablets not capsules.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003CNS3T2/ref=cm_sw_r_awdo_navT_a_GS9KNEWBW2EEHXJVAFX2

I think I likely just searched for the calcium I wanted, "calcium gluconate" and then probably "petites" "small" or "easy swallow." I don't know if you'll find better luck locating one you like at a vitamin store, I just used Amazon.

I searched for this, "calcium citrate with vitamin d3 petites," on Amazon and got many results. That's what you use, yeah? The vitamin d levels seem really high to me, and so I'm not sure which one is best.
Thank you so much for this. You're so kind. I use Calcium Citrate +D3 because I read that the body uses calcium citrate better and quicker. The D3 helps the body to absorb and use the calcium citrate. In complete transparency, this applies to chickens, so that may change with ducks. I know that you've been advised by an Avian vet, so that's encouraging me to study up on this before ordering. I know that both forms of calcium can be helpful, but using the best form and route is sometimes worth so very much. Thank you for sharing all of this. I really appreciate it. I'm actually considering a purchase of both forms because it's affordable and it certainly won't go to waste. 😍

Treating my girl for bumblefoot and just couldn't resist taking a photo of her. I can say she enjoyed her day of freedom in in the rain.
View attachment 2874748
I love this picture!
Ouick question, are her legs and feet pale like her bill? Honey Boo Boo is always pale and I'm wondering if my girl is possibly a white layer instead of a Pekin. My Pekin drake is larger, of course, and has bright orange bill and feet/legs.

Back
Top Bottom