Duck Addicts Anonymous (DAA)

Do you have too many ducks?

• Total voters
Pics
I think I'll stick with my current stuffs then - thank you! I'm glad they'll eat the OS. Having to feed two different feeds and try and keep the chicken from eating the duck and the ducks from eating the chicken feed etc would get old fast.
The only reason I switched the Bigs to floating waterfowl feed is because the Crumbles were choking them as they gobbled their feed up and I was unable to find FR pellets locally. This was during the time they were free ranging so they ate their feed like they wouldn't get fed again. I fed them breakfast, early lunch and dinner whenever I needed them to come off the pond for lock up. In my defense, that was the only way to assure that I would be able to get them off the pond every night. I promise I wasn't starving them 😂 Now, they are picky and will bill through any pellets I try to feed them, in search of the round kibble like feed.

Okay DAA fam... I have a feed question.

I have read somewhere here, that ducks will not take oyster shell as needed like chickens do. Is this true?

If it is, I need advice on how to move forward once they start laying. I currently have 2 drakes and Rona (chicken hen) living and eating with them. I am feeding an 18% starter (always have) with oyster shell on the side for Rona. I have never fed layer. Always Flock Raiser or Starter. Will my current feed regimen be fine once they start laying, or will I need to use layer? I'm okay with giving Rona layer feed, but giving it to the drakes makes me nervous with the higher calcium content.

Didn't realize that question would turn into a biography about my feed anxiety. My apologies. 😅
My girls eat oyster shell like it's going out of style.

On the layer feed note..
Yeah.. I'm not going to say I necessarily recommend it but there are plenty of people who just feed layer pellets exclusively.
That is all my first two calls ever had prior to coming to my home and is what I fed them at first before I learned it wasn't supposed to be good for the Drake.
My Drake still seems plenty healthy,
But my original hen is the one that had a continuous leg or hip problem of some sort that I ended up putting her down for.

Edited to add I don't think the feed issue had anything to do with her problems she had super short legs.

Last edited:
Sure is! Thanks for the well wishes! She is just fine. I think I was right about her having a nest somewhere because she had some down in her bill. She is angry that I put her in, but at least she is safe. 🙏 :D
I am sure it will be nice to sleep with peace of mind now. I would have a hard time sleeping.

I am sure it will be nice to sleep with peace of mind now. I would have a hard time sleeping.
Sure will be! I just worry about them constantly, especially when they are out unprotected at night! I had timers set for every half hour to go check for her. Maybe I’ll actually get some decent sleep tonight! :yesss:

Back
Top Bottom