Duck Addicts Anonymous (DAA)

Do you have too many ducks?

• Total voters
Pics
Is the Muscovy drake tame? Poor guy.
They are semi-tame. So long as you are feeding them and not grabbing them they don’t really care what you do. Somehow he managed to get it off. It was all twisted around him on Friday. As soon as I got out of the car I thought he was fine but after walking the lake twice to be sure I pulled out a photo and checked the markings on his bill to be sure.

Nopey and Diva (Porcelain Aztec's). Nopey is molting into his nuptial plumage, so that's why he's looking odd at the moment. Diva is my only hen out of 5 Porcelain's. I'll get a picture of Blue Belle uploaded. She's my only Blue Pearl Aztec.

Pardon the "ring around the pool". I was running behind and didn't get to scrub it before refilling.
20210928_110131.jpg

Last edited:
Blue Belle joined the party 💜 She's more like the size of a Call (except for the obvious differences). I believe Diva is closer to the size that Aztec's are supped to be (between the size of a Call & a Mallard). Blue Belle is MUCH more talkative like a Call while Diva is fairly quiet.
I will be so happy to see the boys in their plumage change!
20210928_112222.jpg

So many future quakers! I love it! I can't remember which one it was but don't you have a very Moody Broody that actually bites and hisses? Is she broody again by chance?
That’s probably Mrs White. She is Quasi’s mom, so she probably won’t go broody again until spring. She was the last set to hatch before these latest ones started sitting.

Have to tell you all, I found a huge black snake on top of the netting over the duck pen yesterday evening. I think it had actually gotten stuck and couldn’t get free. I have the heavy “snow” netting, but a lot of leaves fall thru it, so I laid a piece of the really cheap, thin netting on top to block some of the leaves from falling in their pools. I think it got entwined in the thin stuff and couldn’t get loose. I had to cut it out.
DCDA2CDE-E3D9-457C-B60C-BA307577035E.jpeg
AD9AAC6C-BAF0-4408-A753-BFC8A62E01F4.jpeg

That’s probably Mrs White. She is Quasi’s mom, so she probably won’t go broody again until spring. She was the last set to hatch before these latest ones started sitting.

Have to tell you all, I found a huge black snake on top of the netting over the duck pen yesterday evening. I think it had actually gotten stuck and couldn’t get free. I have the heavy “snow” netting, but a lot of leaves fall thru it, so I laid a piece of the really cheap, thin netting on top to block some of the leaves from falling in their pools. I think it got entwined in the thin stuff and couldn’t get loose. I had to cut it out.
View attachment 2849406View attachment 2849407
I have some of that garden/deer type of thin, extremely easily tangled netting that I had bundled up and stuffed in a stacked dog crate (in hopes of keeping the messy netting from causing any problems) that was sitting outside behind my shop (the crates take up too much room in my shop plus I don't like to cage pups unless it's absolutely necessary). Something started smelling rotten and ugh the stinch was so horrible. I finally found that a snake crawled into the top crate 5ft off the ground, where I stuffed this netting and ended up getting tangled up in it and dying. I do not like snakes at all, but I don't want anything to suffer. Even dead, we had to cut the netting because it was wrapped and tangled so tight 😭 Poor snake.

I have some of that garden/deer type of thin, extremely easily tangled netting that I had bundled up and stuffed in a stacked dog crate (in hopes of keeping the messy netting from causing any problems) that was sitting outside behind my shop (the crates take up too much room in my shop plus I don't like to cage pups unless it's absolutely necessary). Something started smelling rotten and ugh the stinch was so horrible. I finally found that a snake crawled into the top crate 5ft off the ground, where I stuffed this netting and ended up getting tangled up in it and dying. I do not like snakes at all, but I don't want anything to suffer. Even dead, we had to cut the netting because it was wrapped and tangled so tight 😭 Poor snake.
I’m ok with snakes in the woods, live and let live, but when they get this close, they gotta die. They steal eggs, they terrorize the chickens, and they have killed a few of my pigeon squabs. So I quickly put that one out of its misery of being stuck. I’ve never heard that happening before, so it’s interesting that it happened to you too. Maybe that stuff would be good to wad up around the outer edge of the coops. Hmmm.

Back
Top Bottom