Duck Addicts Anonymous (DAA)

Do you have too many ducks?

• Total voters
Do any of y'all pick ducks up by pinching their wings together over their backs? I've always cradled them or hugged their bodies, and when I catch them I grasp their necks while I begin to hold down their wings.
These ducks were carried only by squeezing their wings over their backs. It looked quite easy, but I don't think I'm comfortable doing it. Is it safe?
I wondered this myself. When I bought some guineas about a month ago, that's how the seller handled them.

I would think that would be very bad on their ligaments and joints. Especially heavier ducks.
It scared me, especially because they are quite large. When I was handed the ducks I put them on the ground and repositioned them, I did get smacked in the face by their wings a couple times though.
The breeder is quite experienced with all types of poultry and it made me wonder if holding them by the wings was somehow safer for the handler.

Do any of y'all pick ducks up by pinching their wings together over their backs? I've always cradled them or hugged their bodies, and when I catch them I grasp their necks while I begin to hold down their wings.
These ducks were carried only by squeezing their wings over their backs. It looked quite easy, but I don't think I'm comfortable doing it. Is it safe?
I've never done that, or seen it done. I wouldn't think it would be comfortable for the ducks and I would be worried that it might hurt them. But I could be wrong.

I carry mine, when I need to, by holding their wings to their bodies in a natural position like they keep their wings when walking around. I also let them stand on one of my arms because that seems to make them happier/less stressed.

Miley hatched June 15th
Maggie hatched June 16th
Della hatched June 21st

I guess it's not so different than Faith. She's laying like a little machine and let's everyone know that she is NOT happy with me whenever I take her eggs away. She doesn't like me anymore and goes out of her way to show me over and over with her vibrating head and then tries to go over my hand, plus her eyes give me a new look of hatred 🤬😤🤬 Funny thing is that her entire look of hatred disappears whenever I break out the mealworms 😘😍🥰 I think I'm probably in for more of this with Miley 😂
Thimbleberry used to watch me take the eggs. I wanted to know how my ducks felt about me taking their eggs, so I squatted down and held my hand open with eggs in it. Thimble ran over, pecked, and broke the egg! Then she looked up at me like, "what?" Then I realized that I was in "mealworm offering position." And she thought I was giving her a treat. I think the entire time she was watching me she was really just waiting for me to give her snacks. Which is my reason to exist.

But it's very interesting that Faith doesn't like it when you gather eggs! She clearly doesn't with the vibration and all!

Both of my latest chocolate babies have gotten their QUACKS! I’m so happy they are both girls. :ya
D072C639-7BAE-4936-AC79-087B86C017EE.jpeg

2F75F3DC-A336-45BE-8A12-2817413CCEC2.jpeg
4FA5B46C-1874-4AD1-9BA2-E70201FF9349.jpeg

Has duluthralphie found this thread🤣🤣
It's only a matter of time....
I saw someone do this with BBW turkeys once and the turkeys didn't seem to suffer from it, but I am not comfortable doing it. I put large potentially flappy birds under my arm so my shoulder is directly over the center of their wings and use the other arm to hold their feet. This is if I know they're not going to peck me in the face. lol

As for carrying by the wings, I think it's much the same as lifting a toddler by the arms. I've talked to doctors that have said it can cause shoulder issues later in life, but I see many people who lift their children this way. :idunno

Back
Top Bottom