Duck Air Sac Duck, Duck

Quackmomma

In the Brooder
May 24, 2017
Overly anxious 1st time duck momma here. I recused this abandoned duck egg and have been incubating it in a homemade bator. My question is...
I can see baby pushing on the air sac but he hasn't made it through. Its like he can't break it. How long before I break a small hole to help him clear it. I dont want him to suffocate. I know to do nothing further and allow him to finish. I also know I'm going to be told to sit on my hands and wait but the thought of the little fella dying bc I just waited is horrible! Help!

How far along is he? Pics? It could be normal draw-down...Waterfowl are absolutely awful about making you nervous, they take a while. What are your conditions in the incubator?

How far along is he? Pics? It could be normal draw-down...Waterfowl are absolutely awful about making you nervous, they take a while. What are your conditions in the incubator?
He's on day 29 though I started late in the day. Its 97-99 in the incubator with 65-70% humidity. I can hear him clicking now though! No chirping though :(

I forgot to ask you, what is draw-down? Thanks for responding!

Where the air cell is tilted drastically to one side as the duckling turns around to get into pipping position... this also pushes their back into the far end of the air cell, looking like a bulge...

Your temps are on the low side, so don't expect it to hatch quickly... it can take twice to quadruple the average time to internal pip, external pip and zip...

He's on day 29 though I started late in the day. Its 97-99 in the incubator with 65-70% humidity. I can hear him clicking now though! No chirping though :(

Looks like Ravyn gave you an idea of what draw-down is! Can you see his little bill on candling? Might give you a good idea of where he pipped and if his positioning is viable.

Clicking is good. Clicking generally means he has pipped internally. He should start peeping soon.

Him being late is expected with those temperatures, but tomorrow morning it might be safest to give him a safety hole. It will ensure he has fresh air until he's ready, and it will also ensure he has a second hole for air just in case he occludes his own pip while rotating.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/goose-incubation-hatching-guide-completed.491013/

For more info on draw-down and safety holes.

The safety hole is a SMALL hole, and after you make it, it's VERY important you keep it humid in there and do not open the incubator except in emergency. You can wrap, very loosely, some warm, damp paper towel around him (very loosely, you want him to breathe) to ensure he doesn't shrink-wrap.

Let us know how he does! Good hatching vibes indeed.

Update: I realised late-night he pipped externally on the wrong end of the egg. I had noticed it yesterday but thought the shell chipped off bc I accidentally sat the egg on a wet rag. He was breech and shrink wrapped by early morning. I assisted but left his bottom half in the shell bc a pea size amount of yoke remains. He has accepted some sugar water a few times from me and is responsive to my voice in chirps and opening his eyes. He was hatched around 6 hours ago. He's still sleeping in the egg wrapped up in a dry washcloth. I know hes not out of trouble yet but do you think he has a chance? I dont have a picture of his belly yet as I didn't want to touch or damage it. Will he make his way out of the shell on his own? Should I move him to the brooding box?
I appreciate all the advice. This is not something I would do again, my nerves/heart can't handle it.

Attachments

• 20170525_094959.jpg
    20170525_094959.jpg
    417.9 KB · Views: 74
Update: I realised late-night he pipped externally on the wrong end of the egg. I had noticed it yesterday but thought the shell chipped off bc I accidentally sat the egg on a wet rag. He was breech and shrink wrapped by early morning. I assisted but left his bottom half in the shell bc a pea size amount of yoke remains. He has accepted some sugar water a few times from me and is responsive to my voice in chirps and opening his eyes. He was hatched around 6 hours ago. He's still sleeping in the egg wrapped up in a dry washcloth. I know hes not out of trouble yet but do you think he has a chance? I dont have a picture of his belly yet as I didn't want to touch or damage it. Will he make his way out of the shell on his own? Should I move him to the brooding box?
I appreciate all the advice. This is not something I would do again, my nerves/heart can't handle it.

You did good, but skip the sugar water until after he's out and active... he will make yawning motions as he absorbs the yolk, that is good... I would keep him in the bator, in the brooder he can't move away from the heat if he gets too hot...

Just be patient, if he isn't stuck then he'll push himself out when he's ready... if he is stuck, he will struggle like crazy and then a little unsticking help might be needed... :fl he's made it this far, so very positive!

Back
Top Bottom