duck and chick together????

juliachick

Songster
10 Years
Mar 18, 2009
(Northeastern PA)
Has anyone kept ducks and chicks together from few days old? I know the ducks are messy but am using paper towels for now and a pee pad under the water to try to keep it dryer in there. They have bbeen together for a few hours and are fine as far as not beating each other up
smile.png
I'm hoping the ducks will let the chick sleep w/them...they keep moving when she tries to snuggle up. I have a batch of jersey giants in the incubator due to hatch in less than two weeks and plan to move angel (lone chicky) in w/them after they are a few days and see how she does w/them. The ducks can move into a more water fun pen then! How does the plan sound???? I just hate to have angel by herself for now. I guess I could always go buy another chicky for her but I'm at my limit already....16 chicks and 7 eggs in the incubator and only a 75 sq foot coop in the works. Whole other story....may be making a roo bachelor pad before long!!!!

Jen

I have 4 day old bantam chicks - there are 5 of them and only one of my Call Duck eggs hatched two days ago. So today I put the little duck in with the chicks and they are fine. They snuggle together and all go under a feather duster to sleep. I will try to post pictures tomorrow. Today was a little hectic.

I was worried at first because I did not want the chicks pecking at the duck but it seems to be the other way around! Since they are all so small I will just keep them together for a while.

I have raised 6 ducks and 11 chicks together from 1 day old to almost 8 weeks. I separated them just a few days ago when the coop was finally finished enough for the chicks.

The ducks and chicks were fine together. There was some minor pecking, but no more between the ducks and chicks, than between the different breeds of chicks.

The main problem was the ducks running out the water and making a huge mess. I had to change the bedding twice as fast because the combo of chicken poop and ducks spreading water was unbelievable.

In the end I think the ducks staged a protest because they were emptying the 2 gallon waterer onto my basement floor every hour and a half or so. I had to get the wet dry vac out.

Also, one of my ducks developed angel wing. There is some theory on the net that this can develop because of feed too high in protein. I have been feeding a 20% starter/grower mix. Ducks should have about 14%. It is also theorized that it is genetic. So far the duck has wriggled out of any wrap I've put on it, but I've switched to the lowest protein food I can find at 15%.

So I'd say that ducks and chicks are OK together for a few weeks, but by week 5 or 6 they really need to be separated.

Just keep an eye on the bedding. You may need to change it daily after the first two weeks. Watch the wing development of the ducks. Separate them immediately if anything looks off and give them the lower protein food. Remember not to give medicated feed to ducks because they eat a much larger quantity than chicks and can easily overdose.

Good luck!!! And post picks. Some early picks of mine are on my BYC Page.

Laney

Well I started with 12 eggs and really gave up hope that any would hatch when I got down to 2. One was stinky so I opened it and it was rotten. Gave this one a couple more days and This was a complete surprise!

When I gave up hope I ordered 6 Call ducklings which will not be here until June. Bought some Bantam chicks for fun and now I am so glad the duck has friends. It will be with the other Call Ducks when they are all the same size

All will be in side by side pens so they can see each other.

Back
Top Bottom