Duck ate a little sandbox sand

should be fine. they eat dirt and sand a lot.
i think the reason that construction sand is recommended for use in duck areas instead of sandbox sand , is because the sandbox sand is very fine and contains silica which can hurt the respiratory system if breathed. but I have use all purpose sand for years in muddy areas and my ducks have probably eaten tons of it for 8 years and it does have some silica

should be fine. they eat dirt and sand a lot.
i think the reason that construction sand is recommended for use in duck areas instead of sandbox sand , is because the sandbox sand is very fine and contains silica which can hurt the respiratory system if breathed. but I have use all purpose sand for years in muddy areas and my ducks have probably eaten tons of it for 8 years and it does have some silica
I wasn't sure because I was under the impression sand box sand was treated in a certain way that made it unsuitable/toxic for consumption by ducks. I bought it in individual bags specifically labeled for sandboxes.

Thank God it's not so toxic because small children sometimes eat it too.
A few times I got the sandbox sand and used in duck pen before I even knew it was not a good choice, and they are fine 8 years later.

Thank God it's not so toxic because small children sometimes eat it too.
A few times I got the sandbox sand and used in duck pen before I even knew it was not a good choice, and they are fine 8 years later.
Good to hear! Yeah for sure kids eat it too but had read at one point that ducks can be sensitive to it so wanted to check in on that when one of mine did. If I had let her she would've kept going back for more so wanted to be sure she was gonna be okay :) I love all my ducks but there's a certain few I have a special attachment to/special bond with.

Back
Top Bottom