Duck attacked Bill bitten partly off

funnyfarmmd

In the Brooder
Jun 27, 2016
Western Maryland
BYC peeps I need some advice. This is a male welsh harlequin, 6 months old. He and his buddies have been enjoying a cpl hours on our pond each day and today they all ran outta the water (I heard the incident but didn't actually see it) I assume a snapping turtle bit him. He's bloody because he's pruning his feathers and tucking his wounded beak (no other injury I can see) I watered and fed them and he hasn't eatting but it's been only an hour or so. The other Pekins seem to be almost cuddling with him to help its sorta sweet. Not sure what to do.
[/IMG]

BYC peeps I need some advice. This is a male welsh harlequin, 6 months old. He and his buddies have been enjoying a cpl hours on our pond each day and today they all ran outta the water (I heard the incident but didn't actually see it) I assume a snapping turtle bit him. He's bloody because he's pruning his feathers and tucking his wounded beak (no other injury I can see) I watered and fed them and he hasn't eatting but it's been only an hour or so. The other Pekins seem to be almost cuddling with him to help its sorta sweet. Not sure what to do.
[/IMG]
OMG this is so sad. You could try pulling up something on the forums about bill wounds just to see what you could do. Hopefully someone will help you soon. Hope your babies ok

These people have all been helpful to me before, maybe they have some thoughts. The best thing would be a vet. Maybe soften the food up with some water.

@Amiga
@Miss Lydia
@RavynFallen
@lomine

Oh, poor baby! Please don't let any of them back out to the pond until the turtle(s) are removed or you can section off one side safely for them... snapping turtle injuries have been prolific and devastating this year... :(

As Doulos said, a vet is best bet... but if not an option he needs to be separated and that needs to be kept clean as possible... very sweet of the others to keep close but you don't want any extra damage done on accident...

Clean it well and put some antibiotic ointment on, you'll most likely need to reapply frequently... don't push food so much for a bit, just make sure he is drinking plenty of water still and add some vitamins and electrolytes to it...

Hope others might have more to add, but that's what I've got... hope he heals up!!

Ditto Ravynfallen, you might add a teaspoon of turmeric per pint of water. It stains, but is an anti inflammatory.
I would also drop a couple of drops of colloidal silver on the wound at night for a few days.

Thanks guys n gals...so the bill is healing BUT worse news... today he stopped being able to walk. Crawled using his wings but could stand up or even right himself! His temp is ok. We fed him several times by hand and he ate and drank. Got vocal a bit which is good, seems otherwise ok but won't even try to walk or stand. I let him swim in our heated pool and bit and he used his legs then, though slower that usual, and had difficulty staying balanced in the water leaning to one side. Dried em off and even when I sit him just slightly outta reach of his food and water he won't go for it or try until I move them within reach then he eats and drinks like nuts.

I put him on antibiotics this afternoon and still doing honey on the bill though it's healing better than I thought. Obviously he's got some kind of infection but if the antibiotics d9nt work idk what else to do. Moved him into a bin beside my bed so he's not alone and he seems totally fine, happy even sans being able to stand or walk. He CAN move his legs, just won't. No other injury whatsoever it's very odd.

As a side note, keeping his isolated still but when his friends see him they act VERY strange. They are a vocal even jealous bunch but the shut down and stare without a sound it's creamy actually. Even the set of ducks that isn't his family do that too...never behaved that way before or with other ducks. Like they are being somber and respectful sorta...it's me projecting but it seems like they know somehow he's bad off. Here's a pic from today
[/IMG]

As for vets, I've called several they don't treat birds and the closest one is an hour away. Another I chased with online said that he wld try antibiotics or euthanasia which was not good to hear sadly. I'll keep yall posted. Thank you so much for the advice, prayers and we'll wishes gang. BYC peeps are the best.

Update on turtles...I actually hired not one but two locals to end them! Paying them on a per turtle basis. They gotta go. Some are huge most tiny, all must be gone I won't let my babies go out on the pond again till they are GONE.

Glad his bill is healing, but sorry to hear of the additional issues... :(

Keep up hydrotherapy as much as possible is my suggestion... if he stops using his legs they will lose muscle tone fairly quick so making him use them as often as possible will keep them working... it should also be easier for you to tell if it gets better or worse in the water... hang in there and really hope he makes a full recovery...

Back
Top Bottom