Duck attacked by Raccoon (Still alive is there hope?)

What a great report. I am so happy for you that all the TLC has paid off. Not many would go to the length you have, I hope when she is feeling better you post some pics I'd like to see this brave lil miracle duck. Sounds like she is well on the road to recovery.
thumbsup.gif

Any updates on Peeps? I just read through and I'm hoping she's still doing well! How are her eyes? :( We lost one of our first ducks to a raccoon. Well, Im assuming it was a raccoon, we dont have many other predators. All we found left of Ming Ming were some bloody feathers. Noodles, our other duck, was so sad to watch.. all he did was call for her and wouldnt leave our sides. Heartbreaking.

Any updates on Peeps? I just read through and I'm hoping she's still doing well! How are her eyes? :( We lost one of our first ducks to a raccoon. Well, Im assuming it was a raccoon, we dont have many other predators. All we found left of Ming Ming were some bloody feathers. Noodles, our other duck, was so sad to watch.. all he did was call for her and wouldnt leave our sides. Heartbreaking.
So sorry for your loss, were you able to find Noodles a friend? and
welcome-byc.gif

I am so sorry for your loss I know how tough and hard it is first hand. Peeps is doing great but is completely blind. All her feathers have grown back and she acts normal but a bit skittish around sounds. I keep her penned next to the rest of the ducks - at some point I would like to integrate her back to her duck friends but a little worried about her free ranging with them during the day. The boys all want her back in the group now
gig.gif
She hasnt laid another egg yet which I am not sure she ever will perhaps her body just was shocked too much. I certainly realize she is going to be much more work than the rest but luckily for her she lives in a place where we will give her special care. I am not gonna lie there are many times I wish it was 5 mins earlier or 5 mins later and the outcome would have been completely different..

So sorry for your loss, were you able to find Noodles a friend? and
welcome-byc.gif

Thank you :) I ended up introducing him to my MIL's birds. She has a farm with a bunch of free ranging chickens and ducks. He's been happy there and has a very pretty Khaki girlfriend :) We've moved on to chickens here... less mess and quieter in the city. I do miss them though!

I am so sorry for your loss I know how tough and hard it is first hand. Peeps is doing great but is completely blind. All her feathers have grown back and she acts normal but a bit skittish around sounds. I keep her penned next to the rest of the ducks - at some point I would like to integrate her back to her duck friends but a little worried about her free ranging with them during the day. The boys all want her back in the group now
gig.gif
She hasnt laid another egg yet which I am not sure she ever will perhaps her body just was shocked too much. I certainly realize she is going to be much more work than the rest but luckily for her she lives in a place where we will give her special care. I am not gonna lie there are many times I wish it was 5 mins earlier or 5 mins later and the outcome would have been completely different..

Glad to hear she is doing good! She will adjust to being blind, if she hasnt already. It just takes time. She's lucky she has you to help her and take care of her!

I integrated her for about 5 hrs this weekend under somewhat supervision and she did good - now the boys did pull her out to the middle of the pond and she swam in circles and wouldnt come back to shore - I dont think she knew how to...so the canoe to the rescue and scoop her back to shore! Put her closer to the house and not too long she was in the shallow part of the pond wading and eating algae! So hopefully on the weekends when we can kinda watch her through out the day she will be integrated. Good luck with the chickens wish I could have some but ducks is about as close to cheating with fowl I can come in my area!

I have a blind duck who gets along just fine! He is so well adjusted now that it is hard to tell his handicap. All I can say is that Peeps is one lucky duck!

That is good to hear Buxton. We take it day by day and keep our fingers crossed that she adjusts each day a little better than the last day. We did have to pull the canoe out again since she was stuck in the middle of the pond not willing to come anywhere near the shore. My husband did ask me what I planned to do to ensure there are no more canoe rescues
idunno.gif
I said I would supervise her closer...I am guessing we will have another canoe rescue in our near future. The boys pulled her out there faster than I could stop them again. I guess their deeds are easier in water.

Peeps is still alive and gets better everyday. I asked a vet and she said grind her food and put it in water to encourage her to eat again. After doing that for about 5 days she finally starting digging down in the water to get to the food instead of just drinking the water on top. She is pooping food finally! I know that sounds crazy but I am super excited as that is calories and nutrients she is taking in instead of me having to find a way to get inside her. I think she has two eyeballs (not 100% sure) I still keep them moist with antibiotics daily but she doesnt have a clue where she is walking. She blinks her eyes and opens them but it just looks kinda cloudy back in there. I am certain she received damage to at least the inner eyelids that ducks have. She is desperately trying to preen herself after the tub swims (which she LOVES) but still isnt quite nimble enough with her neck movements to reach those feathers at the root. She tries for quite some time before I relent and blow dry her feathers :) Her wounds are scabbed over and almost coming off now - she had more wounds than I realized from the coon scratching her. Her feathers even look like they are starting to grow out slightly. I realize she may not have vision when this is all said and done with but hopefully we can keep her somewhat happy with her living conditions. I bring her out to the other ducks so she can hear them and they can see her as they witnessed this horrible attack. At 1st they looked at me with a cautious eye - as it appeared I was carrying a dead duck for the 1st week. She now walks around a little with them. I wont integrate her back outside until I know 100% her wounds are all healed up and she gains more energy. I occasionally get the evil eye for the duck smell in the house from her little bathroom ward from the hubby.
wink.png
He knows not to say anything though!

Thanks for all your help Ms Lydia and Amiga! I am very appreciative of all your advice!
I have just read your posts and was wondering how peeps is today?

Back
Top Bottom