DUCK ATTACKED BY RACCOON three weeks ago. Help with wounds. Should he be better by now?

That's good news he's doing better. Are you in a climate where he has access to a pool? Or can you put him into the bathtub? He needs to have some therapy and water therapy is the best it takes the pressure off the legs and back but helps build muscle back from not being able to move around much or walk after an accident or injury. Put enough water in so he can float and swim around. He'd probably enjoy a good bath too. Some recover quicker than others it depends on the injury and also the duck. So try not to get discouraged, how is his attitude? Does he seem depressed? You could add a mirror to what you're keeping him in so he sees another duck. They really like the companionship of other ducks.
Did you try making him soup out of his feed? All you need to do and I would start off with a small amount just to see if he is interested just take some feed and add some warm water to it to make it soupy, My flock loves soupy feed I do it for them at the end of the day before they go into their coop for the night. There is also tube feeding which sometimes has to be done and can save a life when they refuse to eat. It looks scary but honestly if I can do anyone can you just need to get the equipment and follow these directions. Is he drinking water? Are you adding any kind of supplement right now to help boost his immune system? https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/tube-feeding-ducks-updated-5-7-2020.1211994/

That's good news he's doing better. Are you in a climate where he has access to a pool? Or can you put him into the bathtub? He needs to have some therapy and water therapy is the best it takes the pressure off the legs and back but helps build muscle back from not being able to move around much or walk after an accident or injury. Put enough water in so he can float and swim around. He'd probably enjoy a good bath too. Some recover quicker than others it depends on the injury and also the duck. So try not to get discouraged, how is his attitude? Does he seem depressed? You could add a mirror to what you're keeping him in so he sees another duck. They really like the companionship of other ducks.
Did you try making him soup out of his feed? All you need to do and I would start off with a small amount just to see if he is interested just take some feed and add some warm water to it to make it soupy, My flock loves soupy feed I do it for them at the end of the day before they go into their coop for the night. There is also tube feeding which sometimes has to be done and can save a life when they refuse to eat. It looks scary but honestly if I can do anyone can you just need to get the equipment and follow these directions. Is he drinking water? Are you adding any kind of supplement right now to help boost his immune system? https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/tube-feeding-ducks-updated-5-7-2020.1211994/
He has been taking warm baths which have helped him a lot with his wing which wasn’t opening up very much but now he can almost open it up all the way! I do think it has been helping him kick more and I try to just move his feet a bit since he hasn’t walked on them for so long I exercise his toes with my fingers gently. He does seemed depressed and it’s making me so sad. When I’m not around he just lays his head down but I can’t be with him all the time because I’m juggling highschool and college. Besides a mirror, do you think a pekin duck stuffed animal will help? I have a very realistic duck stuffed animal that i got to put some of his brothers feathers inside since I missed him. I didn’t know if it’ll help my duck or just creep him out :hit as silly as that seems. I’ve tried soupy feed and he’ll eat a little bit he’ll still shake his head after. I’ll keep trying and mixing maybe to be more watery with some seeds. I know about nutri drench for appetite but what are your suggestions for supplements? I’m kind of on a tight budget right now since we just had two unexpected vet visits back to back

Poultry cell or Nutri drench. Might help get his appetite back. That's good he is getting warm baths and using his legs. Will he try and stand in the water? Try a mirror and the stuffed Pekin he may like the Pekin he may not but try. The mirror always seems to cheer them up.

Poultry cell or Nutri drench. Might help get his appetite back. That's good he is getting warm baths and using his legs. Will he try and stand in the water? Try a mirror and the stuffed Pekin he may like the Pekin he may not but try. The mirror always seems to cheer them up.
He won’t stand in the water nor does he try to kick to swim, he just floats even when I try to bait him with tomatoes but he’ll kick his legs when he isn’t in water it’s a little weird. I’ll order some nutri drench and a mirror, thank you!

Just make sure to place the mirror where he can't knock it over on him. Keep us updated.

Have you lanced the cyst on his wing yet?
Not yet, my mom forgot the sterilized needle from her work so I reminded her today. It’s strange because instead of squishy and pink like yesterday it’s more like a scab now? It’s gotten dry and hard, is it still a good idea to try and lance it in this state?

Doesn’t sound like there is anything in it to Lance now if it’s gotten dry and hard maybe it opened on its own? Can you get a real good pic of it?
Sorry, it’s quite hard to get a picture I mostly feel it with my hands because there’s so many little feathers in the way even if I trimmed it. It feels like a callous and very firm. He doesn’t seem to like it when I touch it 😢 for now I’ve just been cleaning it and putting vetercyn and neosporin. It really just came out of nowhere only yesterday did it pop up!

Attachments

• 36CB41F1-727D-45E0-80EC-7C179CFD52AC.jpeg
    36CB41F1-727D-45E0-80EC-7C179CFD52AC.jpeg
    239.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 7ADA9E6A-EF14-4BCD-ADA6-6B48C1B81968.jpeg
    7ADA9E6A-EF14-4BCD-ADA6-6B48C1B81968.jpeg
    187.4 KB · Views: 5
If it doesn't feel like there is any fluid in it I wouldn't cut into it. Just keep on with what you are doing. If it changes and goes back to being filled with fluid then it would be time to open it and drain it but for now I'd just watch it.
I know you have another thread going about this so let's see what others think.

Back
Top Bottom