Duck bedding suggestions

duckiemom41

In the Brooder
May 19, 2018
It's been a while since I've been on here, we have just been so busy. Good news though, my Lillie Grace is now walking pretty good :) She's not 100% yet but she gets a little better every day. They are still living in my kitchen and they turned 11 weeks old on Saturday. I went out and bought them a duck house, so to speak... it's a 6x10 playhouse with a front porch that will be their new home. I am going to get it completely ready for them before I move them out there and my biggest issue at the moment is figuring out what kind of bedding to use. I am going to put a piece of linoleum on the floor to make it easier to clean but we live in south Georgia. It's hotter than hot and sooooo humid here. I'm going to put a little window unit out there to help them stay cool but I'm wondering what kind of bedding to use. I have read so many different reviews online, I don't know what to get. They say hay molds?? and I would think shavings would be a beast to clean up.... I looked up straw, but I don't know.. Also, how often do you change out the bedding? I've posted some pics below of their new house. We haven't started work on it yet, but I will post pictures of the finished house. <3

upload_2018-6-25_21-14-13.png upload_2018-6-25_21-19-8.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-6-25_21-17-40.png
    upload_2018-6-25_21-17-40.png
    5.8 MB · Views: 8
Very cute!
I use pine shavings and pdz and it keeps fairly dry except when we got a lot of rain. I have their door open all of the time except at night. Other than weeks with super rainy days, I leave my bedding for about a week. Their windows are currently open all of the time since I can't close them (plastic playhouse). That is also why the bedding got wet.

I use PDZ granules and pine shavings as well. I spot clean every day with a dura-fork (used for cleaning horse stalls and such) and I strip the whole thing and re-bed any time the shavings start to smell and/or look damp, which is usually every couple weeks. I also keep a corner with straw for my girls to lay their eggs in.

Super cute duck house by the way! I'm a little jealous! ;)

I use PDZ granules and pine shavings as well. I spot clean every day with a dura-fork (used for cleaning horse stalls and such) and I strip the whole thing and re-bed any time the shavings start to smell and/or look damp, which is usually every couple weeks. I also keep a corner with straw for my girls to lay their eggs in.

Super cute duck house by the way! I'm a little jealous! ;)
I thought about spot cleaning, but pretty much I would be cleaning out the whole house as my ducks must be very active at night.
I spot clean my chicken coop though, just haven't figured out how it would work in the duck house.

We have a similar playhouse for our duck house and I love it! We've only had it for about a month. I also laid linoleum down to keep the wood floor dry. I use pine shavings on that which is going good so far. They don't get food or water in there, and spend almost all their time outside, so it stays fairly dry. I haven't tried spot cleaning yet, but I should. I have to scoop out all the pine shaving about every week, but it would probably last longer if I tried to get the poop clumps out. Wondering what the PDZ granules are...

We have a similar playhouse for our duck house and I love it! We've only had it for about a month. I also laid linoleum down to keep the wood floor dry. I use pine shavings on that which is going good so far. They don't get food or water in there, and spend almost all their time outside, so it stays fairly dry. I haven't tried spot cleaning yet, but I should. I have to scoop out all the pine shaving about every week, but it would probably last longer if I tried to get the poop clumps out. Wondering what the PDZ granules are...
Sweet pdz is a drying agent and absorbs moisture. It keeps horse stalls fresh. I get mine from the horse section at tsc. Otherwise the stuff in the poultry section is overpriced. ;)

Very cute house!
I use the horse pine pellets.
I pick up any poops or obvious wet spots daily and then turn over the bedding and spread it back out. It stays very dry and doesn’t smell. Very quick clean up.

I am very lucky that my girls only go inside to sleep only from after dark to before sun up so their house stays very clean. I use softwood shavings and only have to clean it out about once/month. I’m planning to add pdz probably this week as well for added dryness.

Back
Top Bottom