Duck Bedding/Waterers

sundal76

Chirping
Aug 15, 2018
Hi everyone!

What do you all use for bedding? We have ~28 ducks and we have been using wood shavings - but they only last 3-5 days and than they are disgusting. Any tips to help make them last longer or other recommendations for different bedding?

Also, what type of waterers does everyone use for their ducks? The ones we are currently using i'm not a big fan of...

Thanks in advance!

:)

I use deep litter and it’s horse bedding using deep litter means I go in daily and scoop the wet material In to a bucket fluff up the bedding and add new about every two weeks this is for 26 chickens and a12 ducks. Water buckets are the best for here but I don’t keep any water or feed inside of housing. Winter it’s heated buckets.

I have been using the pelletized horse bedding from TSC as the 'base' and then straw on top a good thick layer, I keep feed and water in my ducks house because I feed them at night to get them to go to bed. Half their house is bedding and the water bucket stays near the door so any mess trickles out under the door and not seeping into the bedding (their house is on a slight downward pitch for that reason) I have seen a lot of different opinions on food and water in their houses, knowing that they don't sleep through the night I feel (personally) that they should have water 24/7 - it's in their name it should be in their house. So far they've been keeping the bedding dry and the front half of the house bare floor is mostly wet hahah

I've been mixing chopped straw in with the shavings and using pdz. The chopped straw makes the poos clump and the pdz helps with moisture so the bedding is lasting longer.
I don't use waterers in the duck house either, but use the rubber feed bowls for their water in the run. Easy to dump and easy to clean.

Last edited:
I keep water in the house, it’s bare at the front and slightly tilted so the water runs out the front door. I also have no other way to get them water during the winter because the cord on the heater is so dang short and I’m away for most of the day so I can’t make water runs throughout the day

Attachments

• 897064E5-F8D3-4371-88DC-0FD87AD4CB9F.jpeg
    897064E5-F8D3-4371-88DC-0FD87AD4CB9F.jpeg
    747.9 KB · Views: 22
I use deep litter so I just toss fresh straw every week or two (depends on how much time everyone is spending inside). The chickens spread it out and do the turning for me. I have also used pine shaving and it works okay. If yours is really bad it may be a space issue too.

I offer nipple waterers in the coop . The ducks can use them no problem. I just purchased some bucket heaters so I can use them year round now. In winter I put heated buckets in the coop but I have to put something under to keep the bedding from getting soaked. I may install an outside outlet on the barn this year to move the heated bucket outside. During good weather I have multiple buckets, small tubs, and a pool outside.

Flax bedding. I would never use anything else. The same stuff that has been there since June is still in there. I add very little to it. Super absorbent, 100% dust free and so soft. Easy to scoop poop out too.
Where do you get it though? I'm in SE Iowa.......

Back
Top Bottom