Duck behavior after one of the flock has been killed by predator

Mary-Ellen

Chirping
May 30, 2021
I had one Welsh Harlequin and 4 runner ducks. Yesterday morning a raccoon or raccoons killed the Welsh harlequin. The other ducks behaved fairly normally yesterday, but today they keep visiting the site of the attack. I'm worried about them hanging around in the area because I don't want it to happen again (it is up against my neighbour's fence on a rock bluff). Do they need to pay their respects, or are they looking for their lost duck? We would like to remove her remains - just a lot of feathers and some entrails - but I'm wondering if we should do it when the ducks are there so they can stop visiting.

I know that other birds do funerals. Do ducks?

It's not a spot that they usually hang out at. They left their pen this morning and went straight to the spot which they have never done before (they normally go to the pond or to the garden). Will collect remains and set more traps, including one in that spot. Caught a huge raccoon night before last.
After my flock had a fatal attack last year (bobcat got one of my Rouens), my girls spent a couple of days after lockdown wanting to go to the scene of the attack, and one girl would “call” for her sister. As they were now on only closely supervised walks, I would move them along quickly. The behavior stopped after a few days, after which, if asked, they probably would have stated that maybe there might have once been more Rouens, but they couldn’t quite remember…

At any rate, bird memories are thankfully decently short. However, the predators will not forget where they once got a delicious free meal. I would strongly recommend a full “lockdown” for now with no more free-ranging (supervised foraging walks only).

I’m very sorry for your loss, and hope that you and the remaining members of your flock heal quickly from the trauma.

Thanks for your reply (and everyone else's too). They stopped visiting as soon as we removed remains. We are keeping a much closer eye on them and the drakes are locked up because well you know we love them but they're jerks. The two ducks hang out outside the pen by the drakes or in the pond. I've started putting marshmallows in raccoon traps. We've lived alongside raccoons since the ducks were ducklings. I guess we've been lucky until now.

It's not a spot that they usually hang out at. They left their pen this morning and went straight to the spot which they have never done before (they normally go to the pond or to the garden). Will collect remains and set more traps, including one in that spot. Caught a huge raccoon night before last.
Whenever I have to get rid of some of my drakes, my other ducks are affected by it. Usually I get a loud greeting whenever my car pulls into the driveway. They know it is me. When the drakes go it is perfectly quiet for a whole week. I am totally ignored. They miss their flock mates so I can understand how yours are acting.

Back
Top Bottom