DUCK BILL MISSING

Status
Not open for further replies.
The animals are not her property but the property of the state but she alleges her daughter does not want to give up the duck. Its is just a bad situation, very sad.
I think it is a good opportunity to teach your child how love can be love when you do what it best for the animal not what is best for ones ego.
Yes, I see your point. She's obviously very unwilling to give up this duck, and its very likely due to pride. Very sad.
But can you try to reason with her without asking for her to give up the duck? Offer to help get the beak repaired and then return her? Like suggested, try to get the word out.
Maybe you can explain to the women that you think it would be a great learning experience for her daughter to help this duck. Explain that she may seem to be doing fine, but would benefit and be happier with a new beak. Explain you not trying to say you know better, or doubt her poultry keeping skills (even though its may not be true) but only want to help everyone involved.

Yes, I see your point. She's obviously very unwilling to give up this duck, and its very likely due to pride. Very sad.
But can you try to reason with her without asking for her to give up the duck? Offer to help get the beak repaired and then return her? Like suggested, try to get the word out.
Maybe you can explain to the women that you think it would be a great learning experience for her daughter to help this duck. Explain that she may seem to be doing fine, but would benefit and be happier with a new beak. Explain you not trying to say you know better, or doubt her poultry keeping skills (even though its may not be true) but only want
problem is solved

Last edited:
Sorry, I think you are accusing this woman of the same arrogance and pride you also possess. You are demonizing her and the park, while making yourself out to be the savior of the day . . . or, in this case, the duck. Feeding towards dusk is actually a good policy because it provides warmth throughout the night in winter. She is apparently there every day, every week, every month and has been for years, since she knows the duck has been there for years. Have you? Do you intend to continue daily visits to the park to feed and monitor the health of the birds?

From the pictures you posted of the duck, she does not look to be in bad shape, but, of course, it is limited what one can tell from photos. I'm not questioning your ability to detect medical problems, but I'm afraid I don't see you as particularly objective in the matter, because of your intense hatred of the whole situation. Did the new birds she brought in have any other place to go, or was that park the last chance of staying alive? Yes, she possibly could have hoarding tendencies, but not necessary. She might just realize it's far from a perfect home for waterfowl, but many live for many years there.

What exactly are "muscular" geese? Do you dislike geese or think they don't belong in parks? Actually, geese do far better and tend to live far longer in parks than domestic ducks, such as pekins. They are bigger, they are stronger, they are smarter, they are more alert, have sentries, and they don't kill each other during mating season. It obviously doesn't matter if the duck gets no food when people throw it, because she can't pick it up anyway. Someone has got to be feeding her from a container or she would be dead and gone!

Personally, if it was a duck I was taking care of in a park, I would gladly give her, or any other crippled ducks to a person who would care for her and get her medical attention. Although I don't know about bill reconstruction and the trauma it may cause a duck. If it's not really traumatic, I would be all for it. If it is, I will then again point out she CAN and does eat and drink. Plus, people who say they will give a great home to a park duck aren't always as they seem. Getting back to them can sometimes lead to hearing sad stories of how the ducks were killed in some preventable way or another.

This woman does not know you. You are also offering her bribes to take the duck. And it is a bribe, because she does not own the duck, and the word could get out that she "sells" ducks from the park. She could lose her job or possibly even be charged with a crime. But, the way you talk, I doubt you have any concern about that matter, and possibly be happy if that happened. You appear to be most interested in "saving" the ducks and demonizing both her and the park. You're the savior, saving the waterfowl from the "park from Hell".

Life is not perfect in public parks, and co-existence is necessary for life to go on in public parks. That means co-existence between people, too, including those who want to fish and have nowhere else to do so. You might want to take another approach where you will tell the woman you would like to supply medical help to any birds who need it, now and in the future. Then, if possible, the birds will be returned to the park to live, or found good, safe homes with knowledgeable waterfowl owners, such as so many of the individuals in this forum. Use your money for that, instead of arrogantly bribing someone to give you what you want, and bragging about it online.

Last edited:
I did a little research about this state park; and sadly, they encourage the use of domestic ducks. I've seen photos posted by visitors and read a few blogs. Within one of the the blogs, the author mentioned that the gift shop has feed to buy that you can throw to the ducks.
With that said, I'm sure these ducks need rescued, but a state park isn't a sanctuary. The manager might have a good heart, but again she's not managing a sanctuary. These ducks are basically "out in the wild" with every other wild animal that inhabits a state park. Definition of sanctuary: "a place where someone or something is protected or given shelter" - and this is not what is offered to these ducks.
The manager is just dumping them at the state park and using them for tourism.

I did a little research about this state park; and sadly, they encourage the use of domestic ducks. I've seen photos posted by visitors and read a few blogs. Within one of the the blogs, the author mentioned that the gift shop has feed to buy that you can throw to the ducks.
With that said, I'm sure these ducks need rescued, but a state park isn't a sanctuary. The manager might have a good heart, but again she's not managing a sanctuary. These ducks are basically "out in the wild" with every other wild animal that inhabits a state park. Definition of sanctuary: "a place where someone or something is protected or given shelter" - and this is not what is offered to these ducks.
The manager is just dumping them at the state park and using them for tourism.
problem is solved

Last edited:
Thank you for seeing that on all on your ownl. there is one person in this thread who is bent on attacking me for wanting to save this duck. Yes they sell 1 cup of food in a brown paper bag for a dollar I think. People can buy a bag and toss the food to the ground for the ducks and geese. OBVIOUSLY this little duck cannot eat it.
I watched it the other day as food was tossed on the ground. In a way this ducks reaction was sad and in another way it cut me to the heart. It walked over the food right down the center and went away. In a way it was almost as though this duck was say F you to the rest as it walked over the top of the food and left. I felt so bad for it.
Even holding it and feeding it dry food is not enough. That is not how ducks eat, it needs a slury mix so it can suck up the food and filter it from the water as ducks do normally. I have suggested this to the manager. I have done all I can do from informing her of ways she could help it to suggesting she take it home and help it. When none of that worked, I moved on to seeing if I could acquire the duck and do it myself.
Thank you again for going that extra mile to research this and see for yourself. I am not the villan
I visit quite a few state parks all over the US and have volunteered at one of our local smaller ones. Naturalization is encouraged. So the fact that there were domestic ducks at a state park intrigued me. It goes against the naturalization process as well. I'm really surprised a state park is allowed to operate like this.

I visit quite a few state parks all over the US and have volunteered at one of our local smaller ones. Naturalization is encouraged. So the fact that there were domestic ducks at a state park intrigued me. It goes against the naturalization process as well. I'm really surprised a state park is allowed to operate like this.
problem is solved

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom